Sogod Bay - without Whale Sharks..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

F UNit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've just got myself a trip booked down to Sogod Bay at Easter - courtesy of all the recent reports!

Can't wait to get over there - however, the dude from SBSR says its not the best time of year to see whalesharks, just a bit too late which is a bit of a shame, but from the sounds of things the diving is great even if you miss them.

Is this fair? Has anyone been over there got any opinions on this - do you think the quality of diving is still worth it if you miss out on seeing the big dudes? (my alternative idea was to head over to Panglao and dive round there & Balicasag - anyone reading this thinking I've made a bad choice?)

Cheers dude, thats good to hear... really looking forward to the trip, bit of a shame about the whalesharks, but I suppose it gives me a reason to head back.... :)

I'll get a report up after this trip - havent posted one before out of sheer lazyness so I'm probably overdue one haha

We dove with Gunther in July 2003 - way out of whalesharks season. Guess what: we encountered a juvenile whaleshark of approx. 4 to 5 meters, his much bigger mom was swimming around there as well (we did not spot here underwater, be ID'ed her topside). Moral of the story: expect the unexpected!

Balicasag also great of course, with the added benefit of Alona Beach being something of a town (restaurants, bars) that keeps you busy after diving. Missed that in Sogod Bay, bit isolated. But for a few days that's well worth it considering the great diving! Happy bubbles.

Bombarie - Thanks for that - gives me a bit of hope! - I've been to Alona Beach before so know what to expect there, just trying to figure out if anyone has been to both places and can offer a comparison...

Thanks again, F

I just got back from Sogod Bay last night. We did see whale sharks which was nice but to be honest if you go looking for them and see them it's nothing like the pleasure you would get if you happened to be diving one of the walls and they swim by. The diving is excellent, the coral is the best I have seen in 4 trips to the Philippines (PG, Malapascua, Apo Island being the other 3). SBSR are probably the people to dive with if you go there. They aren't keen on the whale shark trips and prefer to stick to diving while it seems that some of the other operators go out searching even in off season. The resort is clean comfortable and friendly but don't expect night life, there is a Karaoke bar next door and NOTHING else.

Hmmm.

Not being a nay-sayer (I was there in December), but I found the variety of diving could be matched - yes, and surpassed - in Anilao and Puerto Galera. Also take into consderation the travel time, my naturally lazy disposition and the Point Bar in PG and that's where I'd go for preference.

Whale Sharks, however were awesome :)

SBSR really push the general diving "we're not a Whale Shark resort, we're a SCUBA resort and we have the best wall dives in Asia" was what I was told. Sorry chaps, you haven't.

All that said, it was still good, but I'd far prefer to do the Whale Sharks as a liveaboard and I'd also recommend that SBSR fix up their dive boat so it doesn't sink again - damn thing nearly went under half way across the (huge) bay, and then actually did go under that night.

YMMV, of course.

larry how many exactly are you?

i cant help but noticed your nick title. hehehe.

sorry for the hijack. carry on.

I am legion. Join us.

Just so you know, "species" is both singular and plural. Comes from Latin "specere" meaning "appearance".

Cheers for that Larry - at the end of the day I think I'm gonna be pleased with the trip from the sounds of things - the diving sounds good (not GREAT - but whatever) - it'll be just nice to chill and hangout and get some sun and san migs down me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom