Sogod Bay info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone has info for chartering boat from Malapascua to S. Leyte?

Thats a long long boat ride (to Bato, Hilongos or Maasin). I recall a thread containing a discussion on a boat service between Malapascua and Villaba (Leyte) and then taking a bus (long ride) to Southern Leyte (Padre Burgos).

Best inquire with your "target" resort in Southern Leyte if such transfer is still available.

Thats a long long boat ride (to Bato, Hilongos or Maasin). I recall a thread containing a discussion on a boat service between Malapascua and Villaba (Leyte) and then taking a bus (long ride) to Southern Leyte (Padre Burgos).

Best inquire with your "target" resort in Southern Leyte if such transfer is still available.

Thanks! Have asked the "target" resorts in Malapascua & S. Leyte but they have minimal info... The idea is simple but execution is difficult I guess... :wink:

Just back from Sth Leyte and I counldn't agree more with the above quote. :depressed:
so dive spots are "poor" in comparison to other places in the Philippines.
Yes, nice food and good service @ Sogod Bay SR, but Philippines can give you more than Sth Leyte in my opinion.

Was 3 times at Sogod Bay SR last year - January, March and May - it's one of the really good places in Philippines - I like it. All 3 times whale shark was there and my friends snorceling with it.
But in my opinion - if you want to see whale sharks - you must go to Galapagoss, Belize, Djibouti, etc.
On SL you can see a lot of macro - more then 20 spicies of nudibranches, seahorses, pigmy seahorses, ghost pipe fishes, pipe fishes, cuttle fishes including flumbuent, blue ring octopus, shrimps, crabs, frog fishes and much more.
Also it's some places with absolutelly nice and healthy corals - Napantao (black corals, etc.) wall and Sunuk plato (totally covered with soft corals). You can see some photos from Sogod bay here Ëåéòå
and I will attache some more ...
P.S.: before I was not one time on Panglao, Anilao, Cabilao, Malapascua, Sipalay, Tubbataha, Ticao, Puerto Galera, Sipalay , Moalboal, etc.

Last edited:
Some more photos from SB

Attachments

• DSC_0166т.jpg
    DSC_0166т.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0171.jpg
    DSC_0171.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0242.jpg
    DSC_0242.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0276т.jpg
    DSC_0276т.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_01191т.jpg
    DSC_01191т.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 62
  • корова.jpg
    корова.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 53
  • конь.jpg
    конь.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Лейте.jpg
    Лейте.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 61
  • Листики.jpg
    Листики.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 51
  • октопус.jpg
    октопус.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Орангутанги.jpg
    Орангутанги.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 52
seems opinions do differ a lot. maybe based on luck during a particular trip and based on expectations. maybe also the style of diving and the operator. i personally love South Leyte, but its based on one good week. dived with Peters in 2009 and on 2 whale shark trips we saw a total of 4 sharks with more than an hour snorkeling with them. we had enough and went to dive another site after that even when the boat captain kept saying there were more! i also loved the corals and color at Napantao and the night dive at the jetty. both world class in my opinion. our group had experience diving Sri Lanka, Maldives, Sipadan, Similans, Palau, Pulau Weh and Coral Sea and thought the coral at Napantau was comparable with the best we had seen. i also like the fact that we could take a tank and go diving whenever we wanted on the house reef. no DM's, no crowds. agree about the fish life. a definite lack of mid sized to large fish including schooling action but my expectation was whale sharks, macro and healthy coral. but we also dived Malapascua and i liked South Leyte more. personally i felt the Monad Shoal dive was a circus, although same can be said for the whale shark trip in Leyte. i found everything too rigid and touristy in Malapascua but just my experience. i prefer running into things by chance and having a relaxed dive at my pace instead of hanging out with 30+ divers on a coordinated schedule. one reason i will never bother with Donsol from the reports i hear. i think with enough dives you will see most things you wish to, so i keep diving :) and of course we will all have our favorite destination/place based on our interest and experience.

btw, seems Anilao is a place i should add to my next Phils trip judging by the reports.

Back
Top Bottom