Soft weight pouches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gudu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am using a Belt but also need some extra weight (probably 4.5Kg) and are thinking to make my own using common lead shot sewn into nylon pouches. The plan is to stuff them into my Zeagle quick release pockets. Is there anything I have to watch out other then that they come out without a hitch once I pull the quick release.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers

I am using a Belt but also need some extra weight (probably 4.5Kg) and are thinking to make my own using common lead shot sewn into nylon pouches. The plan is to stuff them into my Zeagle quick release pockets. Is there anything I have to watch out other then that they come out without a hitch once I pull the quick release.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers

I am not a zeagle user. In fact I have not even touched on of their BCD so please keep this in mind. In an old thread where a public safety diver drowned it was indicated that people who stash their lead in the quick release pockets and leave it there find that the lead can stick together and so build clumps and not dump. This would be something that I would watch for.

I am not a zeagle user. In fact I have not even touched on of their BCD so please keep this in mind. In an old thread where a public safety diver drowned it was indicated that people who stash their lead in the quick release pockets and leave it there find that the lead can stick together and so build clumps and not dump. This would be something that I would watch for.

Thanks for your comment, point well taken. I already had a gut feeling that this is possible and consider making several lead pouches sewn out of nylon so there is no chance of sticking. Besides that, I probably will always have to wear a Belt which is easy enough to get rid of in an emergency resulting in positive buyancy.

I would use coated shot if you can. Otherwise lead dust will seep thru the pouches as it rubs together. It probably isn't good for the reef. Or you.

I've used Zeagle's weight pouches with larger shot (3/8's?). Never had any issues with "clumping" If you do, shake the pouches before a dive occasionally.

I've used up to 5lb square hard weights in my Zeagle Ripcord pockets - when you pull the cord they drop nicely. I'd be more concerned about constraining the size/thickness of your pouches to ensure they do also. Maybe segment them with cross-stitching to help them keep their shape.

An old trick we used to use on At-Pac's - it may take up too much room in your pouches - was to mix marbles in with the shot. It had a long narrow back weight holder with a smallish opening so you didn't want it to settle and not dump when needed. We also used to turn our bc's upside down and shake them b4 a dive periodically.

I would use coated shot if you can. Otherwise lead dust will seep thru the pouches as it rubs together. It probably isn't good for the reef. Or you.

I've used Zeagle's weight pouches with larger shot (3/8's?). Never had any issues with "clumping" If you do, shake the pouches before a dive occasionally.

I've used up to 5lb square hard weights in my Zeagle Ripcord pockets - when you pull the cord they drop nicely. I'd be more concerned about constraining the size/thickness of your pouches to ensure they do also. Maybe segment them with cross-stitching to help them keep their shape.

An old trick we used to use on At-Pac's - it may take up too much room in your pouches - was to mix marbles in with the shot. It had a long narrow back weight holder with a smallish opening so you didn't want it to settle and not dump when needed. We also used to turn our bc's upside down and shake them b4 a dive periodically.

Thanks alot for the advise.
I was just wondering. When you used the 5lbs Bricks in your pouches did they hurt you, I mean could you feel the corners or was there no issue. Would be much easier to cast them to size and coat them with thick plastic paint ?????????????

I need to make some 1 and 2 pound trim weights. Where can I get some lead shot from?

If you only need a few pounds, I'd suggest "Heavishot" (sp?).

It's heavier than lead (made from a different alloy) and doesn't leach.

It's also a little more expensive, but for a few pounds shouldn't be a big problem.

flots.

I need to make some 1 and 2 pound trim weights. Where can I get some lead shot from?

Local gun clubs (trap and skeet) often sell recycled lead shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom