Sodwana Bay, South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone here been diving in Sodwana Bay? My son and DIL and I did a couple of dives there last March.

It was an interesting experience. The surf is huge, and it was a trick for the boat to zigzag past the breakers. There was quite a current, even down deep; you pretty much had to just go with it. That was the dive where I learned what blood looks like as it seeps out of your hand at 60 feet below the surface. (Got too adventurous, trying out a narrow opening just as a surge blew me into a rock. Should have worn my gloves, but I was trying to be eco-sensitive.)

The vis was not that great, but we saw some interesting sea life. I especially liked the sea horses hanging on for dear life here and there.

Don't know if I'd do it again, but Sodwana Bay is very popular in South Africa. The people are great, by the way! Met a man on the dive who took us all over the place in his Land Cruiser; to places our rental van would never have been able to go, such as Kosi Bay, which is awesome. Whole families of lionfish!

Sodwana Bay is probably not worth a trip to South Africa, but if you're going to be there anyway, for example to visit KrugerPark (out of this world!), it's a great place for a weekend diversion.

L

At the right time of year with the right weather, I would consider Sodwana Bay "Heaven under the water." It has everything and more when it comes to offering underwater delights, and to the foreign visitor the price is pretty much a steal. There are beautiful reefs, wonderful people and great diving.

The surf launches with the RIB's at Sodwana are pretty mild compared to Aliwal Shoal but are none the less are pretty wild and are all part of the excitement of diving in SA.

Personally, I would recommend coming down round July, August...Starting off in Sodwana, then moving down to Aliwal Shoal for some shark diving with the Raggies (Sand Tigers), then maybe heading down to Protea Banks to catch the end of the Sardine Run (most probably one the greatest natural wonders on earth...hundreds of sharks, thousands of dolphins, whales...the works)

Hopefully Shoaldiver will return pretty soon cause I think he's in sodwana at the moment, so maybe he can add a more recent opinion.

And as you said there are some other awesome non-diving attractions, the Kruger National Park definately being one of them.

Ah, Stallion, didn't mean to put down lovely Sodwana. . . .

The trip through the surf was great, although the boat behind us spilled its cargo and passengers.

I just got tired of the surges and currents below water, combined with low vis. Are you saying it's better in August? But isn't it rather cold then, being winter season?

We love South Africa, and hope to return again and again!

L2GD

Water temp on the South African East coast - Sodwana, Aliwal Shoal etc is seldom lower that 20 degrees C.

I agree with Stallion, The area is better during the winter months ( June to Sept).

interesting report. we were there in march, too, but obviously a different week. no current whatsoever. vis was great although less than carribean. fish life was prolific. also saw a whale shark. and so cheap... we also went to mosselbay and protea banks for some more diving plus mala mala for a safari. contrary to the diving, the safari part was pricey but absolutely first class from accomodations to service and game viewing experience. it was a fabulous trip. if the flight were shorter i'd be vacationing in south africa all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom