Sodwana Bay - Is It Worth It

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrrworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, I know it is worth it but how about between now and mid to late January? I've read a few posts from 2003/2004 and it seems not such a great time to go but I thought I would check opinions again. I'm in Botswana until July so I could go in the winter months but I have lots of long weekends coming up so I am trying to take advantage of them.

Assuming now is ok to go, any recommendations on places to stay and who to dive with? Websites all point to Coral Divers and Sodwana Bay Lodge but from other posts, seems like I could stay anywhere and just find one of many dive operators.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Michael

PS, I've been to Moz so no recommendations for there necessary.

The recommendation not to go now possibly stems from the fact that it is holiday season and the place will be full. I went in Dec a few years ago and the diving was great !! Went again in May this year and also had some good diving.
I usually stay with Triton Dive Charters. They are situated outside of the park so it's best if you have your own vehicle to get around.

Thanks Andy. I'll give Triton a call.

Yep people probably said don't go as it will be rather busy.

That said the diving is still great though 2 mile gets very very busy, head out to 7 or 9 mile and you can pretty much have the reef to yourself!

I am a South African currently living in California. I just returned on the 14th Dec for the first time in 12 years.

We did a few dives with Coral Divers over a couple of days. Coral Divers was excellent, as was the diving!

Visibility on a couple dives was 30m+. Being from California not used to that kind of surge but got used to it after the first dive or so. Saw a Raggie, some Baracuda, Scorpion fish, and much much more.

I would highly recommend Coral Divers as they are right in the middle of everything and the staff and service are second to none. Cabins are very basic, but thats not what we were there for!

I spent five weeks there over christmas about five years ago.

i had done a recertification (lost paperwork) in margate, then drove out to sodwana (i'm crazy)

it was amazing diving. crowded over christmas, but the folks at coral divers worked to get me from a cot in a tent into a very nice cabin by the end of the stay. i love it and hope to return several times in my life.

yes, it's crowded at christmas. but the entire setup is so much fun that you'll barely notice. and new year's eve on that beach is a true blast.

the divers and staff couldn't be nicer. it's well worth it, or at least it was for me. we were allowed to jump out of the boat en route to the dive site when we saw dolphins in the water, we had whale sharks (thanks to the microlight spotter plane!!) and i was luck enough to dive with an expert who's been going to sodwana for year. he's legit with his 5000+ registered dives.

it really was heaven!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom