Socorro Pretrip Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve been to the Socorro’s twice. Both trips in early November. Ideal conditions and warm water so I didn’t even need a wetsuit. Great visibility that time of year. I was on the Rocio Del Mar both trips. The great thing about going early November is we were the only boat there on the first trip and had just one other boat last trip in 2019. Most all the other liveaboards are doing the cage great white shark trips at that time of the year. Have the entire boat chartered again for November 2023. Can’t wait.

I'm getting ready to board the Nautilus Belle Amie. Here's a few things I've learned since I've been in Cabo San Lucas for this trip. If you have Marine Park credits that Nautilus gives you for spending for pre-trip diving, on board expenses, such as nitrox or rental gear, be aware that Nautilus will not let you use the Marine Park credits for the bar on board. This is a change from their policy of a couple of months ago. Also, note that the See Creatures dive shop in Cabo at the Tesoro Resort is very, very low on inventory, should you wish to spend your credits in the dive shop.

Speaking with a divemaster on the boat, there has been no bait balls the last two trips. Water temperatures have been a low of 71 degrees and a high of 75 degrees. Diving conditions have been low visibility due to a lot of wind. The last two days in Cabo have been quite windy, which may give us a rough Crossing tonight.

The dive shop where you check in to get on the boat and do the antigen test has no electricity. The shop is sweltering hot. Apparently, there has been a problem between the landlord and the dive shop and they cut off the electricity. Doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the operation.

So how was your trip? :)

I just returned from a trip (my 4th) to Socorro May 26-June 3rd on the Nautilus Undersea. We had a fantastic trip with calm weather, easy crossings, and great dive conditions. There is often surge there especially in the shallows, but I would call it moderate at best during my trip. Water temps ranged from 72-78f, sometimes on the same dive. Most dives were at about 75f. We had great interactions with Manta's, Dolphins, and many sharks. More SilverTip sharks on this trip than ever before, and fewer Galapagos Sharks. We saw HammerHeads a few times, but not large schools.

The Camera Patrol at SJD was active and caught a few of our party. I got away clean by putting my camera gear in common suitcases and my CCR gear in pelican cases. I took the pelicans through customs which instantly required an inspection. Meanwhile my wife was ignored with the suitcases and camera gear and walked through clean.

Back
Top Bottom