Socorro Liveaboard Grounding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazing that lots of people seek answers and refunds from Pacific Fleet operators. Their FB page is exploding with questions and of course Trip Advisor has a bunch of complaints. Seems many divers, including Marissa loved the luxury cabin way too much and anyone asking her questions gets blocked. LOL

Amazing that lots of people seek answers and refunds from Pacific Fleet operators. Their FB page is exploding with questions and of course Trip Advisor has a bunch of complaints. Seems many divers, including Marissa loved the luxury cabin way too much and anyone asking her questions gets blocked. LOL
Alas I am still chasing a refund for a trip I canceled 12 months ago. Not related to Vortex in this tragedy, but a Solmar V trip, same company. It's sad and disappointing.

Alas I am still chasing a refund for a trip I canceled 12 months ago. Not related to this tragedy, but same company. It's sad and disappointing.
Same kind of situation here...had planned to go to Guadalupe with them in October 2020...canceled due to virus...rescheduled twice...just chalked it up as a loss

Update today from Marrisa:
"We were traveling from roca partida to socorro overnight. Last watch person admitted to us he went to bed when no one came to relieve him. Boat was set on auto pilot heading in a straight line for socorro and we crashed going cruising speed right into the first thing that got into our way. We were not even on the side of the island boats drop anchor. We were on the side people avoid because of bad weather and it’s exposed."

"We were traveling from roca partida to socorro overnight. Last watch person admitted to us he went to bed when no one came to relieve him. Boat was set on auto pilot heading in a straight line for socorro and we crashed going cruising speed right into the first thing that got into our way. We were not even on the side of the island boats drop anchor. We were on the side people avoid because of bad weather and it’s exposed."
Wow. I can’t really say I’m surprised as that happens far too often. I wish I were surprised. It’s inexcusable, but not surprising.

Liveaboards these days sound like a tiny cruise from hell.

If accurate ... well, on the positive side it's not company policy to run boats on autopilot at night with the entire crew asleep? But holy ****snacks - if your relief doesn't show up, either stay at the helm or go kick your relief out of the bunk. Don't just say "sod it" and head for the rack.

Is it normal for a liveaboard (or any comparably sized vessel) to do a night run with just one watchstander? Two would be safer.

Back
Top Bottom