Socorro Liveaboard Grounding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Nothing on the web yet, but I saw Marissa Eckert just reported that the Socorro liveaboard she was on, which I think is the Vortex, crashed onto the island at 2am. All survived after evacuating on the life boats.

Found a news story on the AP:
CIUDAD DE MÉXICO (AP) — Elementos de la Armada mexicana rescataron a 25 personas —entre ellos estadounidenses, británicos, belgas, irlandeses, italianos y mexicanos— cerca de una isla del Pacífico, tras encallar el buque turístico en el que viajaban, informó el lunes la Secretaría de Marina.
El incidente se registró en las inmediaciones de la Isla Socorro del Archipiélago de Revillagigedo, a unos 800 kilómetros al oeste del puerto mexicano de Manzanillo, donde encalló el buque “SOCORRO VORTEX”, refirió la dependencia mexicana en un comunicado.
Tras un llamado de auxilio de los tripulantes de la embarcación, miembros de la Armada partieron hacia el lugar del incidente y lograron avistar cerca de la isla una balsa salvavidas en la que iban los ocupantes del buque.
En la embarcación viajaban 14 pasajeros de los cuales siete son estadounidenses, dos británicos, tres belgas, un irlandés y uno de Nueva Zelanda, y 11 tripulantes, entre ellos ocho mexicanos, un inglés y dos italianos, quienes presentaron lesiones que no resultaron de gravedad, añadió la Marina.
Los pasajeros y tripulantes fueron llevados a las instalaciones del Sector Naval de Isla Socorro para la evaluación médica y su posterior traslado hacia la localidad costera de San José del Cabo, en el estado de Baja California Sur.

Translation:
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Members of the Mexican Navy rescued 25 people — including Americans, Britons, Belgians, Irish, Italians and Mexicans — near a Pacific island after the tourist ship they were traveling on ran aground, reported the Monday the Secretary of the Navy.

The incident was recorded in the vicinity of Socorro Island in the Revillagigedo Archipelago, about 800 kilometers west of the Mexican port of Manzanillo, where the ship "SOCORRO VORTEX" ran aground, the Mexican agency said in a statement.

After a call for help from the crew of the boat, members of the Navy left for the scene of the incident and managed to spot a life raft near the island in which the occupants of the ship were traveling.

On the boat were 14 passengers, of whom seven are American, two British, three Belgians, one Irish and one from New Zealand, and 11 crew members, including eight Mexicans, one English and two Italians, who presented injuries that were not serious. the Navy added.

The passengers and crew were taken to the facilities of the Isla Socorro Naval Sector for medical evaluation and their subsequent transfer to the coastal town of San José del Cabo, in the state of Baja California.

This is true. My brother in law was on the trip. They ran aground in the middle of the night and had to abandon ship. He is stranded now with no passport or phone, but the Mexican Navy has arranged for flights back to the mainland. Hope he can make it back to the US without a passport or ID.

Another reminder to have your go-bag, right near you in the night. I suppose superficially attached so as not to skitter off in case of grounding vs a fire?

It's a relief that this reminder comes amongst news that all are safe and well, despite being in a frustrating situation.

Hope everyone is ok and GL to your BIL Diver0823. I was hoping to get to Socorro at some point, had my eye on the Pacific Fleet offerings for some time now.

Geez, first Scuba Scene and now this, nerves a bit high for my Galapagos liveaboard in 2 weeks!

This article has what appears to be a picture of the grounded Vortex:

Pasting an email I got yesterday from the Pacific Fleet mailing list at 6:19pm PDT, that I didn't see until now (subject was "Vortex May 3-13 trip", initially thought it was just a promo email, as they send a lot):

May 9th, 2022

At approximately 4am Monday May 9th, the Socorro Vortex ran aground on Isla Socorro. She was in transit from Roca Partida to Isla Socorro when this incident occurred. All guests and crew are safe and uninjured and were assisted by the local Naval Base personnel. We arranged for air transfer from Socorro to Cabo San Lucas, and all guests should be back in Los Cabos by 7pm this evening. All accommodation has also been arranged as well as any additional assistance that may be needed. At this time, we do not know the cause of the incident; but we have arranged for a group of experts to determine the cause of the accident as well as the extent of the damage within the next 48 hours.

We are currently are working to determine what our schedule will be over the next several months. We will have further information following the assessment.

Thank you for your patience while we work through this difficult situation.

Sincerely,
Michael Ann Boyer
CEO · Pacific Fleet
Industrias Solmar V S.A. de C.V.
RE-YolbtFefqJllz-2qdqREa0LaeKDaxzQtlmxcdaryuICXaNmJa8ecTALs4idw9POgGpgiYMkLL_s2KBvnwJw337yV8TF4vCFAiaK21nC4rlpEULtz8bHV3hfyjl-YVJ-j2iDu2th0cvUOVeY7mYXdTb5Cil60cGQHmpA=s0-d-e1-ft

A few more photos from SEMAR of the rescue in this article (Spanish) including the one of the flooded, listing ship. One on top and 3 lower to click through. Article mentions that there were some (non-serious) injuries.

At least for the passengers belongs it doesn't look too bad. I know Marissa brought her Choptima. The boat itself might be salvageable.

Back
Top Bottom