Socorro Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael J Deely

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking of diving the Socorro Islands on the Nautilus Explorer, in April.
Does anyone have any advice?

what kind of advice? i just got back from that trip. it was amazing and the crew was fantastic. any specific questions?

josh

Could you tell me which place is better in your opinion, Cocos or Socorro?

I wanted to know if you would recomend Socorro or Cocos?

Have you been to both?

I am going alone, how are the 2 berths in the bow?

Socorro aboard the NE is an awesome trip. The berths in the bunkroom are fine, but not nearly as nice as the cabins. I think that the boat and crew do a great job. They are very attentive and safety conscious. You won't be disappointed. I did this trip in Feb and will definitely do it again as vacation and budget allow. If you are interested, I have some images at:

Revillagigedos
and
Revillagigedos - a photoset on Flickr

Enjoy!

Thanks Steve, I think I will book the trip tomorrow.
I have been looking for something different. The NE has better reviews than the Solmar V.

Mike

i've never been to cocos but a lot of people on the trip i just took had been. they didn't seem to think that one was better than the other. just sounds like they are both incredible places to go. Socorro was amazing. you won't be disappointed. it is a really special trip to be able to go to these places and see what is there (and what is increasing NOT there).

anyway... i slept in the dorms. they are fine. not private in any way, but that isn't why your there. the crew was great.

have fun. i wish i could go again.

josh

Well I have been lucky to have made trips on the Undersea Hunter to Cocos/Malpelo and the Solmar V to the socorro group. Its been while (6 or so years) since I went to Cocos but we just got back from an early Nov trip on the Solmar V. I think you likely have better chances of seeing a wider range of pelagic species in Socorro. On our trip we saw mantas (lots of mantas up close) two whale sharks, silver tips at roca partida and a school of hammerheads. Plus two long dives with pods of dolphin on San Benedicto at the boiler.
In Cocos hammereheads big time. White tip sharks etc. Maybe mantas maybe whale sharks. both are great places but since Socorro is closer to the states and the trip out is not so long the cost is a little lower. I think the Sea Hunter and Undersea Hunter are fantastic dive boats. The Solmar V is good and now that it has a new owner its getting better. I would really consider it over the other boats working the area. They know the dive sites and the critters you see there. About 2/3 rds of the crew have been working on the Solmar V for many many years and that says a lot. They also now have Nitrox.

Thanks Josh, I really appreciate your comments. Just left a message with NE and waiting for them to call me back.

Mike, from the bronx

Thanks Augustus, I am going to book Socorro. The Solmar sounds good but the Nautilus has a space so Nautilus it is.

Thanks for your info on Cocos versus Socorro.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom