Socorro Island: Temps, Currents and timing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning a trip to Socorro Island and am looking at an early June departure with the Nautilus group.

I do not love cold water diving and although an experienced diver do not enjoy and sometimes struggle to deal with currents.

Couple of questions:
Nautilus brochure states temps around 78 at that time of the year where as I have seen reports of low 70's. Any idea what I can truly expect in June.

Currents by most reports seem mild and manageable but I have been led to believe that they can be really strong and difficult. I handle Cozumel just fine but there are days on the cozumel walls where fighting to stay on the wall can be exhausting - how would that compare?

Finally from a wild life point of view how is a early June departure. I know i will miss whales but will everything else, including schooling hammerheads be likely?

Thanks

Craig

Last edited:
Hey Craig,

I can't speak on the water temps in June but I suspect that their website if fairly accurate. Other websites pretty much say the same thing with temps in the upper 70's to around 80.

When we went the currents really were not an issue. I've had stronger in Cozumel. The only strong current was on one dive site at Socorro Island itself and we just went with the current so no big deal really. You can usually stay protected from any strong currents if the occur.

Everything should be there except the whales as you say and even whale season is hit or miss for whales. But the mantas, dolphins, and sharks should all be around. When we were there in November we even saw a whale shark. Not sure if there are there in June. We saw hammerheads in November but they kept their distance. You may have better luck in June.

Here is a short video from my trip.

Hi Craig,

I am actually going on the Bella Amie in June of 2018 with a rather large group. From what I heard from the group leader who is organizing this trip, he went a few years back and he said water temps will range from 76-79f. For most folks this water temp is at least 5mm territory, some will be in 7mm and if you're really a wimp, even a drysuit. I'm a cold water diver and I don't have a 5mm so I'll most like use my full 3mm suit, 3mm vest, and hood.

As for currents, your guess is as good as mine but I suspect it won't be anything like Cozumel. I did hear that getting back on the tenders maybe difficult in rough surf/swells though so you may have to be fit to toss yourself back onto the tenders.

As for wildlife, the primary draw is to see the giant mantas-everything else will be icing on the cake for me at least. If you go on the Nautilus website, on the bottom of the page you can see the wildlife calendar. For June we maybe able to see everything but Humpbacks.

Good luck!

Thank you both for your reply. Very helpful to me. BDSC that is an awesome video. Cant wait - Thanks - Craig

I was there in May 2016. The currents can be very strong in some places and not always horizontal. I think it was Roca Partida when we were close to the wall, we suddenly hit a strong down current. I went from 60 to 90 ft in not too many seconds and was putting air in the BC while it was happening. Then swam away from the wall and that current was gone or possibly went up so I was dumping air as fast as I could to keep from rocketing up.
Also the horizontal current was stronger as you got close to walls most of the time.

At another location, our guide decided to take us over a ledge. The current at that ledge was too strong to get over and we dropped back out of the current behind the wall.
Unlike Cozumel, the currents were not always in the same direction throughout the dive. There is more than one ocean current hitting the rocks so its not as predictable. But it can be handled and you are in for a great time!

I had relatively short reef fins and had to kick hard and fast at times. Most others on the boat had longer fins than mine. Sometimes wishing mine were longer too.

We saw a very few hammerheads in the far distance. Barely able to make out that they were hammers at that distance.
We did have a whale shark visit for an aftn.
You can see a few pictures at my site below.
Socorro and Revillagigedos Islands - shiningseastudio

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom