Socorro in Late December 2024 - Water Temp/Wetsuit Thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DreadnoughtNH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Afternoon everyone!
I genuinely hate asking this question, because I know comfort in certain water temperatures and the thickness of wetsuits is SUCH a personal feeling. But here goes....

My wife (@OctopusSneakers) and I are celebrating Christmas 2024 on the Nautilus Belle Amie going to Socorro. We are both strong confident but cautious divers with 200+/500+ dives between us, and we have done LOBs before.

We typically dive in Indonesia/Caribbean in water temperatures 80F-84F, and even at the bottom of that temp range I am comfortable doing 5 dives per day over the course of a week in only a long sleeve rash guard and 0.5mm leggings without feeling cold. Mobility is key for me; I would prefer to be slightly cool over feeling restricted by the thicker suit. I tried diving these temps in a full 3mm several times, and while I felt slightly overheated (but not uncomfortably so) I did not feel restricted by the 3mm.

My only exposure to thicker suits is for my local NH diving/mooring inspections where I need to wear a 7mm and I hate it. Honestly, the 7mm is what really puts me off diving local; I feel like the Michelin man.

I understand that the temps in Socorro in late December range 75F-80F and a 5mm is consistently recommended. My wife has already committed to a 5mm for our trip, but I am conflicted.

My question: given my preference for mobility and that the December temperatures in Socorro appear to average 5F lower than my typical, am I better off getting a 3mm full suit (and adding a vest if I need it), or is the 5mm really the way to go?

I'm hoping for answers from divers who have similar mobility preferences who can answer specifically for Socorro.

Thanks!

I’ve been twice on the Belle Amie over Xmas in 2019 and 2021 and going back end of June! Water temps were 76-80 but mostly in the 77-79 range. I’m normally fine with a 3mm at 82 or higher. I wore a 5mm with Lavacore hooded vest underneath for Socorro and felt comfortable.

FYI both times over Xmas the crossings were really smooth and it’s a great time to go because they’re the only company that’s out there over Xmas so you don’t have to worry about sharing the sites with other companies.

Here’s my video of the last trip -

I’ve been twice on the Belle Amie over Xmas in 2019 and 2021 and going back end of June! Water temps were 76-80 but mostly in the 77-79 range. I’m normally fine with a 3mm at 82 or higher. I wore a 5mm with Lavacore hooded vest underneath for Socorro and felt comfortable.

FYI both times over Xmas the crossings were really smooth and it’s a great time to go because they’re the only company that’s out there over Xmas so you don’t have to worry about sharing the sites with other companies.

Here’s my video of the last trip -
Thank you for this information! For me specifically, 77F-79F would be 3mm full-suit territory, maybe with a vest over it if I started feeling cool.

Back
Top Bottom