Socorro crowded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are right. Socorro is becoming more crowded. However, there is a way to avoid some of the crowds and to do that just look at what operations travel there and when they go.

It seems that many of the operations don't start going there until mid to late December. The Rocio Del Mar starts going there in the fall season in November. We went in early November on the RDM in 2014 and only saw one other boat the entire trip. A lot of the other liveaboards are still doing the great white cage diving then. We are going back in November of 2019 and again we have the RDM booked. Not sure any other boats will be there at that time except for maybe their sister ship.

The RDM has nice sized cabins, great food, and an even better crew! I have been on that boat three times now. I highly recommend her. The boat holds 20 divers and they split you into three groups. Typically you have groups of 7, 7, and 6 or maybe 8, 6, and 6. Each group departs the ships about 15 minutes apart so the dive site is not overcrowded. You also gear up at separate times so again that aspect of the trip is not crowded either.

I like November because it's warmer water and much less crowded. This is a short video I shot in 2014. It was an amazing trip.

Awesome video, Ash!

Can’t wait for my trip there with Nautilus Under Sea at the end of December!

I had a great time on the Nautilus Belle Amie a few years back. We saw other ships from time to time, but the Captains communicate well and keep us all separated. Here's a couple of videos from my trip...

Another great video & liveaboard! I may try this boat on the next trip there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom