Socorro Comfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gassed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello,
We are planning our first Socorro trip (first Liveaboard!) for 2024. I've read most of the post but am more interested in an experienced comparison. I am asking those fortunate enough to ride multiple boats to Socorro; What boat rides the smoothest AND is most stable on anchor? Also, does that boat have any inherent crew/program issues that offset the ride quality?
Belle Amie is booked so looking at Aggressor, Solmar and Explorer but open to options.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Erik

You are going to like Nautilus Belle Amie. I have been on it 3 times. There were some repeat customers when I was there.

I have been on Nautilus Undersea also, but I like Nautilus Belle Amie better in terms of ride stability, quietness (I’m a light sleeper and engine noise keeps me awake), and spaciousness.

If you can book on the Nautilus Undersea or Explorer, pick that over the larger Belle Amie. The Belle Amie takes over 30 passengers which is a too many IMHO. The other two boats take about 18 and 24 passengers respectively. Engine noise is largely as matter of which cabin you book, near or far from the engine room or bow. Upgrade to the larger suites for best results. A boat with only 18 passengers is a lot more spacious than one with 32.

The comfort of the trip is largely going to depend on the weather. The 24-hour crossings can be quite smooth, or extremely rough. It's all up to chance when you book the trip. I've been there four times and was lucky enough to not have any rough crossings but have heard tales of rough seas from friends.

The best advice I can give (that works well for me) is to get some Scopolamine patches to suppress motion sickness. The one time I went out there without patches I was miserable during the crossing, but fine once we got to the islands and dive sites.

take me, please?

Was on Vortex to Socorro in December 2021, very nice boat, huge amount of space per passenger, super nice modern boat, if you can afford it that could be the best boat there. I have been on so many mediocre boats that seeing something that puts a smile on your face is (to me) worth extra $$.

Was on Vortex to Socorro in December 2021, very nice boat, huge amount of space per passenger, super nice modern boat, if you can afford it that could be the best boat there. I have been on so many mediocre boats that seeing something that puts a smile on your face is (to me) worth extra $$.
This may be somewhat problematic…

EC723BAC-3ADE-42B2-B10D-73F79E3E633D.jpeg

Whoops Socorro Liveaboard Grounding

Edit, I see that @Soloist beat me to it, the usual.

@gassed while on many LOBs, you tend to only be in your room while you are sleeping, Socorro has a 24 hour transit from Cabo out to the archipelago. When I did it, I was on the Solmar V. It is a gorgeous boat, but the cabins are TINY. That may or may not be a factor, but it is something that you should be aware of if you are considering it.

Back
Top Bottom