Trip Report Socorro 17-25 June 2021, on Socorro Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alnajel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Trip Report: Socorro 17-25 June 2021, on Socorro Aggressor

The trip was the last trip in the season for the boat, as it was heading later to La Paz for some work and then to Guadalupe for the start of the great white shark season.

The boat has been described in detail by others, but basically it is a great boat, big, stable, plenty of space in cabins, lounges and dive area. The crew are great, and a hard-working, always-smiling bunch. They ran things very well and were always ready and happy to help and serve.

We were very lucky with very fine weather. The crossing from Cabo was a bit side-to-side rolling, but the rest of the week was very smooth. Three days after our return, a hurricane passed to the east of Socorro and moved north towards Cabo, so ….. !!

As you probably know, there are basically 4 main dive spots in Socorro. I am posting a photo of the dive sites log and what we saw. All the dives were great and with good visibility (except probably at Cabo Pearce). The conditions were ideal for photos and vids as the big animals really come very close and stay close, if no one chases them. Lots and lots of sharks, mantas and dolphins.

I believe Socorro is one of the best places for big-stuff animals, as long as you do not expect color or coral, and of course if the weather is fine.

Below are links to 3 of my short videos from the trip. I hope it will give you an idea about what we saw and the conditions underwater.

Have Fun.
20210603_235525  log.jpg
20210603_235525  log.jpg

WoW, what videos, you are a talented videographer and thanks so much for sharing them and the report . Just one question please, what were the water temperatures.

You are welcome.
The water was a comfortable 25-26 C (about 77-80 F).
The day before the trip, I did a local dive in Cabo, and we hit a thermocline of 17 C :eek:

Thanks for posting your trip report. I see from the white board a tiger shark was seen. Any estimate about how long? Did it come near the divers, or was it seen in the distance? One or more?

Richard.

So you actually made it through the whole trip without the compressor or engine dieing?

It was "all-engines-go" throughout the trip. And it is a tough trip on the engines and compressors because of the very long cruising and the short intervals between dives (to do 4 day dives)
So, I am not sure if you are hinting at something

Thanks for posting your trip report. I see from the white board a tiger shark was seen. Any estimate about how long? Did it come near the divers, or was it seen in the distance? One or more?

Richard.

I saw tigers on 3 different dives. Two a bit far, but the third was during the surface interval of our last dive and he came close and observed all divers. All of the tigers were about 4 meters long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom