Soaking Camera housings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i change the water about twice a day.
For the real rinse I take it from the tank to warm fresh water ASAP, and cycle the water out regularly so that it is always fresh water that's doing the rinsing. Let it soak for 5 minutes, run the controls, swap the water, 5 minutes, run the controls, swap the water, 5 minutes, swap the water. I generally do it for 15 or 20 minutes.

After putting the housing under running water to get the worst off, you shouldn't have to swap the water out- the salt is negligible in that amount of water. If you want the water to stay warm, leave it in the sun.

Housings have small dynamic parts involving springs and small O-rings which run along the button shaft. When buttons eventually stick (some housings never seem to have a problem) you can try to get a little grease down on the shaft or remove the offending buttons and clean properly. This requires some jewelry tools and patience.

Anecdotally, plastic housings seem to have more problems than aluminium housings.

I like to immerse my housing in fresh water for at least an hour, and with the camera switched OFF, I work each button few times to make sure I have no sticky buttons, seems to work for me.

If I am unable to do this for some reason such as traveling and no rinse tank available, then I rinse under running water pressing the buttons and once back at the hotel I repeat in the shower using the shower head close up to the housing.

Locally the ambient temperature of fresh water here varies from around 20C in winter to 45C+ in summer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom