So What Is Everyone Doing To Pass Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been perusing the adoption ads the past week. If things don't go back to normal soon - I will have adopted most of the Northeast dogs

I almost adopted a dog the other day but he wasn't good with small animals and I have two cats.
I also almost adopted a couple different cats that same day...but I have two cats.
I guess I could get more fish to add to our ever changing number of those...

PSA: you only get about 2 weeks out of doing this, it goes away once you return to sea level. by training at a lower oxygen level your body produces more red blood cells to carry more oxygen, once its back at sea level, it stops making the extra red blood cells. so if you want to continue seeing the improvement, you need to keep training at altitude.

I live at altitude so lucky me. I also believe with no scientific proof that as my ears always need to equalize for changing altitudes that when I dive I never have equalization issues. I never knowingly need to equalize.

Unfortunately it'll probably come down to meet the morgage payment, or eat for many.

Michael
the issue of your comment was how you NEED TO GET TO THE GYM, not whether you needed to be healthy or a gym was good for you . It is the NEED and its impact now the you can not get there because of the shut downs, that I addressed, If this was truely a health issue than years of you going to the gym would not be threatened by a month of so interuption you still have the benefit of what your routine has provended you. So how does the interuption of going to the gym and the temp lifestyle change that resulted effecting you? What you have posted or implied is much like the neighborhood kids going nuts because they cant go to MC D's to play inside. (carryout only) We have older retiree's that can not goto what a burger for breakfast and see thier friends, they are going throught he same routine change impacts that you and millions of others are describing or illuding to. Like I have told everyone else I meet . get out side adn walk run . suck in some fresh air for an hour or so each day.

Not only that, but also a) you need more oxygen during heavy exertion -- is that not how you dive, -- and b) I have it from a couple of resident doctors that at sufficient PPO2 red blood cells don't matter anyway: metabolism switches to dissolved oxygen.

I try to dive like a corpse, barely moving and letting the currents take me for what every slow ride I can get from them.
That's why I can do dives like this.. start with an 11l or 80AL 210 bar finish with 50 bar on a 93 minute dive. Plus if you go slow you often get those lovely macro shots you might miss if you are zooming along. On this dive I also got a pair of rare sea horses on the way back from a wreck up a sandy slope to the reef wall at around 26m depth you can see on the graph I stop there for a bit.

SAC WRECK DIVE.jpg

A SEA HORSE BEAUTY.jpg

Im not sure you have to change anything to do altitude diving that is what the presure you show of 690 does for you 690 is what is locked for calculations when you turn on the puter 691 is live presure and I believe the same sensor that is the depth sensor. with 690 locked in it now uses the depth setting of fresh salt or en blablabla to determine howmuch pressure equates to an atmosphere for deco calcs and depth readings depending on the rev of your firmware you can enter manually the barometric pressure or in later revisions it is done auto. I forget just what the last update did to the preditor but if you have a petrel of later you should be good to go.

Yeah Perdix with V72 firmware... yes need to change from salt water to fresh water settings.

Macho train? Lol...its called a healthy way of life....

Look at how the current virus attacks those that have underlying issues such as obesity...I truly think more folks will be taking better care of themselves once this virus Peter's out...or I'd like to think so.

The obeasity issue I have not heard of. What was at first put out as an old persons or preexisting conditions desease has now taking its toll on the younger 20's group. I strongly believe that your health benefits of the gym were not obtained nor will then be lost over a short period of a couple of months. I think what you said was basically if you are fit you are not so susseptable to the virus taking you down. I cant argue with that logic. I can argue twiththe idea that if you dont get back quickly you will loose the benefits youcan obtrained over teh years you have been going to the gym. In short a vacation form the gym should not be putting you in harms way. teh separation from the gym (distancing) may be the greatest value here. Also if no one goes into the gum that should allow any virus to die over teh next few weeks. Any one entering compromises that natural process.

PB211609.JPG

My pot belly and I are not effected by any of this shutdown stuff. I learned long long ago it is not ones demons that count but how we conquer them before they conquer us.

My own pot belly would love to dive with similar good looking pot bellied people.

Yeah Perdix with V72 firmware... yes need to change from salt water to fresh water settings.
are you familiar witht he EN bla bla bla setting that is a compromose of the 2. and as i understand the rev fresh salt is all that needs to be changed, and that only effects the depth gage and not deco calculations as it works on ATA and not a depth readout. wrong setting results in say a 2-3% error in depth readdout.

I have to look at my predator but at one time you entered a atmospheric pressure like 1013 . That was the input for shore presssure. When you went to higher altitudes you set it for the local barometric presure like 720 I updated it some time ago and do not recall seeing that entry format any more but i have to search settings in both rec and tech to be sure. I think my predator is at v65.

I'm taking the time to learn how to rebuild apex. No more $150 per set for me haha

Macho train? Lol...its called a healthy way of life....

Look at how the current virus attacks those that have underlying issues such as obesity...I truly think more folks will be taking better care of themselves once this virus Peter's out...or I'd like to think so.

I do train also. I time to time still compete in triathlon. But I did not realize I was being macho in doing so. I train so as I get older I do not become trapped in a crippled body. I like to hike, kayak, bike, swim and run and do outdoor activities including SCUBA and I would like to keep doing those things as long as possible. I also am a pilot and would like to keep that medical. At 66yo, I think I passed up the macho stuff a long time ago. I enjoy the gym, I have friends I work out with and swim or cycle with and it is part of my social activities. It is what I do instead of restaurants and bars.

However, I am willing to follow the recommendations and am trying to. My sister and law has already had and recovered from Covid 19 in Louisiana (verified by testing). She was fairly ill but is strong and is recovering well. She did not require hospitalization. My wife is a nurse/therapist, she has already had several patients with Covid 19, thus far they have come back negative but it is a matter of time. Here in the middle of the country, I am hopeful this infection will just die out. Just not a lot of population density here even without social distancing. It cannot rain forever, this too will pass. Hang in there folks.

So today I plan to get in a good 40 miles on the bicycle, light winds are forecast. Then last year I picked up a little Kawasaki dirt bike used (I am an ex-motocrosser) and I finally got the carb jetted out this past weekend and it actually runs! I think the little bike only has a couple of hours on it because the owner told me it would never run so they never rode it. Well, it runs now and this afternoon I will take it to the dirt bike club a mile from my house and see what sort of trouble I can get into:

IMG-0463.jpg

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom