So what do you reckon this is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trickie Dickie 99

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, I've actually finally found out what both of these are but for the big long white feller in particular, it took a few days of searching to work it out.

Both found at Fortescue Bay in the SE of Tasmania on a dive a coupla weeks back, in about 20M of water, temp was around 16-17 degrees C.

I'd be interested if there is anyone else out there who knows what they are; I was pretty intrigued by them. I'm the one in yellow BTW.

1. Picture028.jpg
  2. Picture033.jpg
  3. Picture002.jpg

WOW....
Never seen anything like # 1&2
I hope someone can give us an answer.
Lokks like something from a science fiction movie, a giant squid egg sac or something.

However #3 is a couple of salps off a chain, often seen in longer colonies.

OK...give it up!
What are they? :)
K

First one looks like a cephalopod egg sack, probably from a large (huge) cuttlefish; second one like a large ctenophore, or a salp (pelagic tunicate)
Rick

Crazy! It does look like a tunicate to me, but I've never seen anything like it before. Are you sure it isn't photoshopped??? LOL. What a great find. So what is it?

So.. do we get an answer? Been searching pictures on teh net with no luck yet. Cephalopod egg sack is the closest so far but nothing like these pics.

Back
Top Bottom