So, this stuff isn't supposed to happen, but I guess it does

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good stuff folks!! thanks for the pearls...

I'm just off to California next week to see how much cold water affects me... brrr (actually, I think I am half penguin, I love the rush of a cold water thermocline when I run into it... a little bit of a shock maybe, but feels awesome)...

Lucky for me the dive shop in San Pedro has steel 95s, that ought to help a little... going to be a lot going on, I'm going to be on my best situational awareness behavior.

So, as a 'responsible' and 'courteous' diver, isn't it MY problem to resolve? And if it means I have to carry a slightly higher capacity cylyinder, and recheck my weighting, I fail to see what is wrong with that? I'm still going to have to plan by 1/3s, I am not learning any bad habits, I still am going to have to plan to ascend and begin my safety stop by 70bar, that puts me on the surface with a reserve of 50bar in the tank. admittedly, it won't be a perfect 1/3 rule. But it is responsible planning.

Rule of thirds is a method of gas planning, and gas planning is always good. However, I don't think that the rule of thirds is very good gas planning for a rec dive. You might want to read up on "minimum gas" or "rock bottom"; NWGratefuldiver here has written a good article on that (if you're imperial, that is. It's not that well suited for us metric guys).

AFAIK, an HP100 has a fill pressure of 3440 psi (almost 240 bar), which should give it a water volume of about 12L. With my SAC rate (~0.5 cuf/min) and a 12L 240 bar tank, the rule of thirds overestimates the required gas reserve at depths shallower than about 18m/60ft (which is good, since it gives you an extra safety margin) and underestimates it at depths below that (which is bad if fit hits the shan). With a higher SAC rate, the rule of thirds is even worse; if your SAC rate is ~0.7 cuf/min, rule of thirds gives you a correct estimate as shallow as around 12m/40ft.

And the error becomes bigger the deeper you go, so if you're planning to dive deeper than 18m/60ft, you should seriously consider to read up on more advanced gas planning. It's not rocket science, it's just a little math.

Monitoring you air is both the most basic and most important skill a new diver needs to learn. If you're running out of gas you're not paying sufficient attention to what you're doing or diving profiles beyond your skill level, or both.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom