So, really, whats wrong with the Mares Puck Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The computer itself is ok for nodeco dive but the bracelet sucks : has to be changed every year and it costs 20 US$. Had to find a way to wear it with a bungee, not easy nor good looking

It’s a fine starting computer or computer for simple dives, you can get a second hand one for almost nothing and resell it at nearly the same price if you upgrade

It’s a fine starting computer or computer for simple dives, you can get a second hand one for almost nothing and resell it at nearly the same price if you upgrade
Its plus compare to the others of same price (Zoop, ...) :
- dual gas
- ascent rate in digits not bargraph
- Userfriendly (button, menu)

Get another Oceanic computer; you can find one used for not too expensive. What you might want to consider, for a vacation diver:
  • Liberal algorithm. You don't need this but if you're diving an Oceanic, those are the NDLs you're used to. All Oceanics run DSAT by default; you can switch to a more conservative algorithm and add conservatism if you want.
  • Nitrox-capable. You mentioned this; tons of computers do this, not a huge consideration for one brand versus another.
  • Won't lock out if you go into deco. Oceanic computers don't lock out if you accidentally exceed your NDL, as long as you clear your deco stops. Hopefully that's not a concern, but nice to have just in case.
If you like your Oceanic, just get another model that is Nitrox-capable; used is fine. I love my old Geo 2.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the Puck. $215 new is hard to beat. However, consider getting a new Veo 4 for $85-100 more. It will have the reliability you are used to and it downloads data via Bluetooth. Many dive shops are running a $300 special. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom