So I've gone all retro...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espenskogen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
And I've aquired a Nikon F90 with an Aquatica housing. Yes, I know - Film in the age of digital is a bit old hat, but nevertheless, it was the only way I was gonna get an SLR underwater for a while. (Not made of money you know)

But here's the question - So I've got an Ikelite strobe on a relatively short arm - I'm guessing about 50 cm fully extended. What's the best positioning of the strobe to minimize backscatter?

Any advise is appreciated.

The best position to reduce backscatter is that that is the furthest away from the lens. However, that may not necessarily be the best position for the shot/effect that you are going for. At 50 cm, that's a reasonable distance to have the strobe from the lens, depending on the quality of water. With one strobe, I would generally position it up to the right (or left, depending on what side you mount the strobe), but adjust as the shot requires.

Warren_L:
The best position to reduce backscatter is that that is the furthest away from the lens. However, that may not necessarily be the best position for the shot/effect that you are going for. At 50 cm, that's a reasonable distance to have the strobe from the lens, depending on the quality of water. With one strobe, I would generally position it up to the right (or left, depending on what side you mount the strobe), but adjust as the shot requires.

Especially in shooting close, I find that the one strobe casts a long shadow on the subject. For this reason, I am going to add another strobe before my next major dive trip. There are too many other things to be thinking about while maneuvering for a shot. That is one more concern that I can eliminate if I add a second strobe.

If I release the built-in diffuser on the camera and fire the camera's flash, then I also add more scat into the finished picture.

I would be interested in what others have to say about this.

Back
Top Bottom