so i feel dumb (do you think i have hurt my self)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

warscout2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
so i was messing around in the pool playing with trim and weighting.
I was doing this in the 10 foot part of my pool my chest was at about 7 foot depth and i was vertical in the water. I took a deep breath to see if i would rise i did so i keeped trying to inhale and i say i raised about 2-3 maybe 4 feet do you think i might have done anything to myself?
It didnt hurt and it was over 24 hours havent had any problems.
i feel like i might be over reacting but i have been reading the injurys section and i might just be a :dork2: .

so what do you all think

I would not worry myself over it, espcially if you don't have any symptoms of anything.

I know what u just said.

DISCLAIMER = I am not a doctor and u r not to rely on any medical oppinions from me:D

just remember, when asked what does a "reservecop" mean, 9 out of 10 5th graders said they pictured an overweight nightwatchman at WalMart who is too slow to even catch a turtle:D

reservecops:
> so what do you all think

I think you're probably about 12 ??

I have almost no idea what you just said.

sorry about that i have edited it maybe you can sound it out now.

I'm not a doctor either, but I think the danger here would be embolism or lung overexpansion injury (AKA your lungs explode).

If you hold your breath while you ascend, the gas inside your lungs expands and rips your lungs open from the inside out. This might force air into your bloodstream and other parts of your body, causing all sorts of problems such as cracky skin around your neck, chest pains, or even stroke-like symptoms (the bad ones- paralysis, headache, confusion, death).

I think you are probably OK since the symptoms of AGE (arterial gas embolism) tend to show up pretty quickly upon surfacing. Again, I'm not a doctor and this post is for entertainment porpoises only.

Hello warscout2 :

Yes, that was not a good thing to do!!

If you are still alive, you are OK. Shallow-water ascents like that are very dangerous. Small children playing in a pool have died when the inhaled air from a pail that they inverted and then held their breath the few feet to the surface. Errors in helicopter escape training has also caused this – see reference, below.

If you fill your lungs with air, as you rise, the lungs will expand and the diaphragm move downwards. The lungs can definitely tear and release air where it should not be. This could be in the chest or, horror of horrors, into the arterial circulatory system. From there, it can enter the heart or brain.

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2007 is August 18-19. :1book:
This class is at the USC campus in Los Angeles.
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

References :no

Arterial gas embolism following a 1-meter ascent during helicopter escape training: a case report

Aviat Space Environ Med. 1996 Jan;67(1):63-4
Benton PJ, Woodfine JD, Westwood PR.

We present the case of a helicopter pilot who suffered an arterial gas embolism following instruction in the use of the Short Term Air Supply System (STASS) at a depth of 1 m of water. This is believed to be the shallowest depth from which a case of arterial gas embolism associated with the use of compressed air breathing apparatus has been reported.

AXL72:
just remember, when asked what does a "reservecop" mean, 9 out of 10 5th graders said they pictured an overweight nightwatchman at WalMart who is too slow to even catch a turtle:D
:rofl3::rofl3:This is hilarious and well deserved too I might add.:rofl3::rofl3:

1).....no
2)....why on earth would you do sonething like this, then ask that question
3) .....why on earth would you ask such a question on the scuba board, when you have no earthly idea to know which "expert" will advise you.
4) if you had any fear of an overexpansion injury, why did you not seek actual medical advice from a real live flesh and blood medical professional.
5) check your closets, and under your bed to make sure Darwin isn't hiding there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom