so got to dive with the camera this weekend. white balance? Manual mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merchant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
so took the housing and strobe down to 60 feet to make sure no leaks. then returned to shore put the dc1400 in set it to under water mode ext flash auto and started snapping away. nothing great, all the pics have a yellowish green tone to them. vis was horrible and found out fast i need the defuser.

once i adjusted the white balance on what i did take they look OK but had a few questions.

whats the best way to setup for white balance? use a reference like a slate and set the cam to Manuel white balance and take a reference shot for the days shoot/ lighting conditions. or use the presets

I use a small dive slate, and find that changing the white balance every time I make about a 5 foot depth adjustment (up or down) gets me the most consistent results. I also turn off the strobe when I am in MWB mode.

One nice feature on this camera is that you can hold the menu button down for about 4 seconds and it automatically kicks you into MWB setting mode. A big improvement over other cameras which required a bunch of menu gyrations and button pushing to get to the MWB setting screen.

WOW, that worked i think i missed that one in the manule. (if anyone else is wondering , that menu function only works in underwater mode.)

Okay I am a little confused with the White Balance. Last weekend i was in less than 10 ft of water. i set my DC 1200 on No Flash, less than 25 ft depth. The day was a bright but hazy day and the water was slightly turbid. My few pictures I took had a redish tint to them.

This coming weekend I will be at Sombrero Reek in Marathon with depths averaging 25 ft. How should I set my camera?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom