So Excited..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, it's official now.. Sometime next month, I will be a Vancouver area diver!

Although I enjoy the mountain diving in Alberta, I'm not going to complain about having to "settle" for Ocean diving a short drive away, compared to stuffing my Jeep with more tanks, dive gear, and camping gear than I ever thought possible and driving 4-6 hours to the mountains every other weekend or so. (Now I can do that to hop over to the island for a weekend)

Looking forward to meeting some new divers in Vancouver :D

Congrats.

I spent all my life growing up on both cost with in walking distance to the water ( Father now Retired Navy) yet someone how he got posted to Toronto and then decided to retire here!!!!

Oh well.

There's quite a few divers from Vancouver in the Canadian Diver's Social Club. I'm sure you will be welcome! Good luck with your move!

I spent all my life growing up on both cost with in walking distance to the water ( Father now Retired Navy) yet someone how he got posted to Toronto and then decided to retire here!!!!

I too was posted in Toronto (DCIEM). I left the Navy to go to Vancouver and am now in Halifax. Go figure.... :)

Yup.. When they shut down CFB Toronto and made it all civil contractors he decided to retire instead of going through another posting due to some family issues at the time.

Where was your Dad stationed?

HMCS Preserver ( Which i was baptised on :D )
HMCS Kootenay ( he was on board when they had there collsion in the late 80s early 90s with the bulk carrier Nordpohl )

Pictures attached.

Other than that.. he spent a bunch of time In Victoria and Comox on the west coast. His position was a Stewart i think it was he retired a petty office 1st class and took the civil position of Officers Mess Manager.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Wow, the Kootenay had a lot of bad luck. It was involved in an accident in the early 70's I think. Wasn't it sunk to form an artificial reef in Acapulco or something?

Did your Dad manage the OM at CFB Toronto as a civilian?

Yea it did , it was a gear box that exploded and killed several.

He over seen the operations of all the mess's when in the service ( Officers, Junior ranks and NCO's) when he retired they made it all public sector jobs and closed everything down and he was made the mess manager of the "Mess" Officers upstairs and Junior ranks/NCO's downstairs.

She was decommissioned in 1995 and sunk as a artificial reef in 2001 in Mexico.

Back
Top Bottom