snorkels ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snorkels

During my initial SCUBA training, Harry Hauck (sp?, he was an ex UDT trainer) required us to swim many laps with a tank on our back (full of air, but not using the air), no BC (no one had them, they weren't really around much yet), no Mae West, or any other flotation device. First we had mask, fins, and snorkel. Then we left one fin, then both fins. Then we use the fins and the snorkel but no mask. Then the mask, but no snorkel…and so on… you get the point. Well that was over 35 years ago, but I still remember my thoughts. If I have a long swim and I lost any piece of equipment, I hope it would be my mask and not my snorkel; definitely not the fins (either fin).

Use it when conditions warrant, leave it when they don't. Such a simple concept...

FWIW, I leave it 90% of the time. Now. I used to wear it 100% of the time, because it simply never occurred to me to leave it. Been about 6 months that I've left it off, and I only missed it a little bit once. Would have been nice to have that time, but it was nicer NOT having it all the other times.

I have a folded one in a pocket on my drysuit. I don't like the way it pulls on my mask, and I don't want it tangled up if I have to donate my primary in an OOA situation.

I have considered not using it, tried diving a couple of times without it and on the whole felt that the utility of a snorkel is worth whatever little discomfort (if any: I don't feel any) it may cause.

Only if a REALLY long surface swim appears to be involved. I don't particularly like them or use them. It obscures my leftward visibility and is annoying. My g/f won't dive without hers, mine is almost always left behind.

I do snorkel though on vacations. Just don't think it's necessary for most diving circumstances.

On vacation in the carribean, I generally wear one. When Jersey wreck diving I wouldn't even consider wearing one. When teaching I have to wear one for standards, but then students should at least learn how to use one.

CompuDude:
Use it when conditions warrant, leave it when they don't. Such a simple concept...
good advice.

I use a nice dry snorkel for SNORKELING, and keep a simple roll up one stashed away when diving just in case (and have not yet had an occasion to get it out.)

Back
Top Bottom