Snorkels for freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toeter

New
Reaction score
Hi there,

I,m new to the sport of freediving, but up to now I have lots of fun.
It is very difficult to get information over here about freediving gear.(I life in the Netherlands)
So it is great to find so much info on this site.
I'm missing one thing, info about snorkels for freedivers.
Maybe it is here somewhere but I can't find it.
So would you please be so kind to tell me your opinions on this subject.

Snorkels for freediving are a relatively personal choice. Virtually all freedivers use solid tube snorkels, the flexible snorkels are for scuba. Most freedivers prefer a simple tubes free from any purges that might fail and add drag. Any online store that features freediving gear will feature this type. Some of us (including me) like purges, they make clearing easier. In rough water a few divers like dry snorkels, the Aqualung Impulse is popular here.

My tastes may be a little odd, no one makes my ideal snorkel so I compromise and change snorkels depending on conditions. I like a narrow bore tube, I get enough air and it has less dead air space. I like a straight long tube, bending it around your head does not reduce drag and it measurably reduces the height. Finally I like a purge. No one makes this combination. I have a long narrow bore straight tube with no purge, good in calm water with thin exposure protection where I may sink deeply when breathing up. I also have a couple of wide bore purge snorkels for rougher days and heavier wetsuits.

Hope this helps a little.

Ralph

Toeter once bubbled...
I'm missing one thing, info about snorkels for freedivers.
Maybe it is here somewhere but I can't find it.
So would you please be so kind to tell me your opinions on this subject.

What you want is a large bore, slightly curved tube (curves sorta around your head). If you want a purge use only a simple bottom purge. Absolutley no "dry snorkel" gimicks, they're toys. The Scubapro "Shotgun" is a good freediving snorkel.

Tom

rcohn once bubbled...
Why would you want it to curve around your head?

Ralph

Limit drag in every way possible. Also, believe it or not, a snorkle standing up straight will make noise by sorta vibrating in the water as you dive. Of course the noise part applies primarily to hunters but in my experience that's what most freedivers are.

Tom

Drag is proportional to frontal area, curving the snorkel around your head doesn't limit drag at all. You'd need to curve it behind your head to reduce drag. It limits the height of the snorkel above the water. If the curved height is ok and you straighten the tube you could cut over an inch off, this would reduce drag. The only advantage I can see to curving the tube (beyond looking cooler) is that the opening of the snorkel is set at the center of your head so you have a greater range to roll to the side before submerging it. I haven't noticed any additional vibrations between a straight tube relative to a curved tube and I don't see a reason why vibrations would be reduced..

One way to reduce drag and the dead air space at the same time is to use a narrower bore. In the popular wide bore snorkels, you rebreathe more of the stale air you just exhaled. I find I get plenty of air from a narrower bore. Back in the 70s all the snorkels I saw/used had narrow bores and I thought they worked fine, wide bores are a relatively recent innovation. My narrow bore Cressi snorkel has less dead air space that a standard snorkel with greater height. Too bad it doesn't come with a purge. Lately I've been using a Scuba Pro Twin Valve Shotgun 2 snorkel more frequently.

Ralph

You're basing your statement on what YOU notice, not what is reality. You may not notice the vibration but it's there, the fish can hear it. Vibration is reduced primarily because a long straight object will vibrate more than a shorter curved object.

There's been a lot of changes since the 70s, mostly for the better.

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Vibration is reduced primarily because a long straight object will vibrate more than a shorter curved object.

Interesting assertion, would you care to provide a reference to support it?

Ralph

rcohn once bubbled...

Interesting assertion, would you care to provide a reference to support it?

Ralph

Sorry Ralph, don't have a reference to support it. All I have is my 30 years experience free diving, a book I wrote on the subject, and the shelf full of trophies I won in free diving competition.

I don't know the science, I only know what was passed to me by the folks that taught me and which I have found to be (or at least appear to be) true over the years. When I punch down on a fish and he spooks before I get within shooting range, I have to decide what I believe spooked him and change that thing. My mentor called it "fish sense".

I've tried lots of different gear, this what works for me and why I believe it works. Your milage may vary and no science available :)

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom