Snorkelling this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm bringing my 11yo nephew over this weekend to get in the water. I want to snorkel with him before getting him certified when he's 12.

So, I'll be coming over to the P'cola area to snorkel the P'cola pier, Navarre Pier, and (maybe) the Crystal Beach Pier.

We'll be leaving here about 8am or so, so should be in the area around 12:30 or 1pm, and in the water about then. Tides are midnightish, so the Jetties will likely be out.

Sunday, we'll either do another pier dive, or we'll hit Morrison for a few minutes, sans wetsuits.

So, anybody want to join us? You can dive it while we snorkel, but I'm not bringing any of my (many) tanks.

Paul, Crystal Beach Pier pilings are covered up from what I understand, due to 'renourishment'. SeaYoda posted a picture recently that showed how much extra beach is piled up at the end.

There is atleast some pilings at the condo just West of the Best Western on Okaloosa Island(Fort Walton).

Directions to Pensacola Beach Reef. I-10 East, I-110 South, follow Hwy98 over the bridge and into Gulf Breeze. Take the Pensacola Beach exit(veer right) and go over another bridge($1 toll) and enter P'Cola Beach. Goto the main parking area and park behind the Life Guard headquarter/shower area. Go south of the lifeguard station and line up with the lifeguard tower sitting directly south of it. Swim out 150m or so and you'll find the reef in 15-20' of water.

Directions to Navarre Beach Pier. I-10 East to FL Exit 31(SR87) and head South. Take a left at Hwy98(East) and go a block or two and hang a right at the bridge to Navarre Beach. Pull into the main parking area and park as close to the pier as possible. You're diving the pier itself here, so there's no missing it.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Paul, Crystal Beach Pier pilings are covered up from what I understand, due to 'renourishment'. SeaYoda posted a picture recently that showed how much extra beach is piled up at the end.

There is atleast some pilings at the condo just West of the Best Western on Okaloosa Island(Fort Walton).

Directions to Pensacola Beach Reef. I-10 East, I-110 South, follow Hwy98 over the bridge and into Gulf Breeze. Take the Pensacola Beach exit(veer right) and go over another bridge($1 toll) and enter P'Cola Beach. Goto the main parking area and park behind the Life Guard headquarter/shower area. Go south of the lifeguard station and line up with the lifeguard tower sitting directly south of it. Swim out 150m or so and you'll find the reef in 15-20' of water.

Directions to Navarre Beach Pier. I-10 East to FL Exit 31(SR87) and head South. Take a left at Hwy98(East) and go a block or two and hang a right at the bridge to Navarre Beach. Pull into the main parking area and park as close to the pier as possible. You're diving the pier itself here, so there's no missing it.

Cool. I GE'd it last night and saw Navarre has only one Pier. I saw the new Pier at P'cola, but didn't see any sign of the old one.

Likely, on Sunday, we'll hit Morrison (the nephew will likely call it his "weekly bath") and head back.

The rubble from the old pier at P'Cola Beach is piled up about 100m East of the new pier. Its all in the water, so not all that visible except for on the clearest days. Just line up with the lifeguard tower and head south, you'll run into it if your bearing is good.

In Navarre, you are actually diving the existing pier since its condemned on the surface. No fisherman to worry about.

SuPrBuGmAn:
The rubble from the old pier at P'Cola Beach is piled up about 100m East of the new pier. Its all in the water, so not all that visible except for on the clearest days. Just line up with the lifeguard tower and head south, you'll run into it if your bearing is good.

In Navarre, you are actually diving the existing pier since its condemned on the surface. No fisherman to worry about.

Line up with the number #4 life gaurd tower and head out south. keep lined up with the lifegaurd tower on the way out and count the pilons of the new pier. when you are between the 13th and 14th pilon you are there. I would start looking down around between the 11th and 12th and the smaller bits of rubble with bring you to the main rubble area.

Thanks, guys.

Here's the final plan:

Drive from New Orleans to Morrison Springs on Saturday, and snorkel the springs Saturday afternoon, until significant shrinkage sets in. Eat at Sally's

Perhaps drive to Navarre and dive Navarre, then check into hotel.

Sunday AM, do the P'cola beach pier rubble for several hours. Or, if we don't get to Navarre on Saturday, drive over there, do that for a while, then go to P'cola beach

Paul, little heads up, power boat races are set for this weekend and there are several areas you and your nephew can watch the fun. Al Point Jetties and the public beaches in Orange Beach make for great viewing. I believe all the big races are being held on Sunday, some practice runs Friday and small class races on Saturday.

So there I was...

MDB and I were out driving around. We ended up in Ponce de Leon about lunch time, and decided to stop in for a bite.

As we were walking in, MDB noticed someone wearing a Crab Grab shirt. She made a lound announcement of "this looks like someone we know" and whacked me to get my attention.

It took me a moment, but then I recognized the man sitting at the table she was shaking me towards.

Well, we said our hellos and sat down to join him and his nephew. They finished their meal while we waited for our.

Excited about getting to the spring and getting wet, our friend and his nephew said goodbye, and left. Shortly after that the waitress asked us if our friend had left. I said, yeah, and she told me he hadn't paid for his meal.

Well, I wasn't about to be stuck with his bill, so I chased him down, as he was trying to make a get away. I forcefully dragged him from his vehicle, and twisted his ear all the way back in.

Once inside the waitress took care of him good. He settled his bill and left.

Well, halfway through our meal, the waitress let us know, that we didn't have to pay for ours. The gentleman that we had sat with took care of it for us.

THANKS PAUL!!!!

You're a pretty good guy.

Back
Top Bottom