Snorkeling with salmon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I will see if I even have the time to go since I am driving up to William's Lake.
Too many people aren't good for a river, regardless if they are fishing or snorkeling.
Thanks anyways for the information :)

Its true to many people aren't good for a river but interested people are. If your driving to William's Lake from Vancouver you'll have to pass through my home town of Hope. If you'd like I'll show you the river and fish you'll never forget.
Andrew.

Wow, I think it would be cool to snorkel with the salmon. I don't see you as a hindrance if the water was too deep to stand in and you just basically hung out and observed. Even if there were lot's of people, say groups of 8 or ten, I don't think it would be nearly as bad as a few fishermen in waders trying to catch them. How long has that been going on??

Fishing is a weird activity. I enjoy it and have for many years but it seems as though fishing allows fishermen to exploit a resource while contaminating it and polluting it without being penalized or otherwise held accountable except for the fact that they make it harder and harder for themselves to catch fish.

I see that effect here on Maui all the time.

This is an issue that spans beyond ecology and into safety.

Much of the Fraser River (the river you'll see during most of your drive from Vancouver to Williams Lake) is fast moving and hazardous to swimmers. Growing up in Prince George (about 150 miles north of Williams Lake), we'd float down part of the Nechako River, which merges into the Fraser... and about once a year, we'd hear of a missing person who went too far, ended up in the Fraser and the body was recovered (sometimes) around Vancouver in a couple days.

Not to mention, we're talking about next to no visibility in a lot of the river -- a lot of sediment is carried down to form the Fraser River Delta on which Vancouver Airport and other important Lower Mainland areas are built upon.

If you find somewhere to do it safely and responsibly, please let me know -- it does sound very interesting.

@Andrew: thanks for the invitation. I will contact you when the trip gets closer. We just booked last week and have another vacation coming up.
And KrisB: I just want a stream or a nice river- no white water :) I have done enough of the rafting...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom