Snorkeling Destin 6/4/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
MysteryDiveBuddy and I are going to see what there is to see along the jettys on the other side of the pass. We dive the east side all the time, but the west side has been reserved for beach goers. No more, it is now time for some reconnaissance! Not sure of an exact time. Maybe around noon, or a little later?

I'm taking an OW class out there in a bit, to the east side, of course. Let me know what you see, I might drag a spare tank over there.

photohikedive:
MysteryDiveBuddy and I are going to see what there is to see along the jettys on the other side of the pass. We dive the east side all the time, but the west side has been reserved for beach goers. No more, it is now time for some reconnaissance! Not sure of an exact time. Maybe around noon, or a little later?

It's a cool place to snorkel just be sure to bring your dive flag. We got busted there once for not having one. They let us off with a warning after 45 minutes of questions and a strip search.

I've heard it was decent, but I rarely seen anyone lugging dive gear to the "west" jetties unless they are in a boat. Reason is, it's a LONG walk in gear in soft sand from the west side parking area.

see pic at http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...5611,-86.515403&spn=0.019621,0.04343&t=h&om=1

We pretty much dive the "finger" on the west jetties. Anyone dive the "other side" of the west jetty (the channel side) as it goes out towards the inlet?

Timeliner:
It's a cool place to snorkel just be sure to bring your dive flag. We got busted there once for not having one. They let us off with a warning after 45 minutes of questions and a strip search.

hmmmm, strip search huh? do they have any chick officers? it HAS been a while...

Well, here is the report from our day at the west side jetty in Destin....

The west side jetty was a bit of a disaster. The other jetty is about a mile walk. Along beaches crowded with boats and their anchor lines. The rocks of the jetty go right into the sand, then it is just water and sand. Further up it looked to be better, but that was much further and the rock walk is perilous. It is also covered by fishermen. Waves were a problem but the biggest stink was yet to come. The junegrass is dying off, and it has collected in a muck pool on one side of the jetty. It is rotting and the smell is at times overpowering. The other side (the channel side) was better, it had clumps on the bottom, but for the most part, there was not much suspended.

All in all it is a unappealing shore dive. And I am glad I didn't bring down my scuba gear.

We went back to the east side jetty after a stop at the dive shop and a little lunch. This was even better than it has been lately. The vis has cleared up and you could see the I beam from the surface. That was about 25-30 feet down. A remora visited the site, and my home made slurp gun worked passably. Some party boats rolled in, and the drunkeness got to be a bit much, so we called it a day.

You must have just missed me at the Jetties, I rolled out at about 1230 or so. Sucks the west side has nothing to offer us.

Knight1989:
You must have just missed me at the Jetties, I rolled out at about 1230 or so. Sucks the west side has nothing to offer us.

I wouldn't say I missed you.......... :D

Or at least only part time now.

How did the first day on the J-O-B go? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom