Snorkeling Between Dives (Oceanic GEO 2.0)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vfrkids

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,
Heading down to Curacao soon and will be doing some casual snorkeling in between dives. Having just purchased an Oceanic Geo 2.0, I'd like to keep it on while snorkeling to see depth, temperature, etc.

I thought Gauge Mode, but the manual says it will go into Gauge Dive Mode below 5ft for 5 seconds, and once that happens will lock in Gauge Mode for 24 hours. So I can't have that.

Should I just leave the computer in 'regular' dive mode while snorkeling and let it count that as a dive? Or maybe Freediving mode? Still coming up to speed on this computer...

Any info appreciated..
Thanks.

If you are just surface swimming looking down, no problem. If you submerge to go look at something you’re putting yourself at risk. That risk is that fine bubbles from the previous dive will recompress, potentially allowing them to shunt through a PFO if you have one and ending up doing very nasty things on the arterial side.

A LOT of divers have a PFO too small for issues normally but big enough to give you problems under these conditions.

Also there is a reason the computer acts that way. Breathold diving does not allow you to offgas in a normal way and the computer will not know your residual nitrogen correctly.

Appreciate the replies. I was entirely unclear in my question.
By "snorkeling between dives", I mean snorkeling on days that I don't dive or after a sufficient surface interval after my last dive of the day.

Maybe best to just leave the computer in dive mode and let it calculate whatever snorkeling fun I have as short/shallow dives?

Appreciate the replies. I was entirely unclear in my question.
By "snorkeling between dives", I mean snorkeling on days that I don't dive or after a sufficient surface interval after my last dive of the day.

Maybe best to just leave the computer in dive mode and let it calculate whatever snorkeling fun I have as short/shallow dives?
That was my initial thought as well, but you may run into a problem with multiple rapid ascent alarms as we go down and up rapidly when snorkeling.

Back
Top Bottom