Snorkeling at Blue Heron Bridge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigfunctions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - I've read some great trip reports about diving the Blue Heron Bridge at Phil Foster Park. I hope to go sometime with someone who knows how to do it, when to do it, etc., but in the mean time I was wondering if snorkeling is good there. It seems like it is shallow enough, but I don't know if the visibility and conditions would be good. Any ideas? Thanks, trig

I'm not too sure about going snorkeling there, but I have gone scuba diving there on several occasions. You have to time your entry and exit for high slack tide because that is when you have the best visibility and the least current. Park at Phil Foster Park and cross under the Blue heron bridge to the small beach facing Peanut Island (south). Go to the east end of the beach and wait for the tidal current to slow down. Be sure to tow a dive flag and carry a good knife or shears (lots of fishing line). I dive the short section of the Blue Heron bridge, not the old bridge (that is a fishing pier now). There is lots of small critters to see. but you've got to look closely.

east or west span ... doesn't matter ... have a dive flag!

West span, stay out of the main boat channel,
and beware of any fishing lines.

Tides were -very- high last sunday when we went, (full moon)
to the point of the lifeguards at the station getting wet feet.
Higher tide meant lower clearance for a snorkeler under the east span.

The west span seems more popular for the divers, snorkelers,
while the east span is popular with the macro photographers.
Lots of small critters .... if you can hold your breath that long.

I dive the Blue Heron Bridge all the time. There is a lot to see but IMHO it requires scuba unless you can hold your breath like Tanya Streeter! The best stuff is macro and takes some looking around to find it. The viz is fair for diving, but you won't see anything from the surface. Just my 2 cents.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom