Snorkeler pulled unconscious from the water at Scuba Club Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

desertgal145,

Thanks you for your report. People are so quick to jump to conclusions. I would hope to have someone with your experience there, overseeing my care, if I ever got into trouble like that. I'm guessing there were no AEDs, or defibs or O2 conveniently located near this incident site. I hope that 58studebaker can now retract his one critique of the situation. My condolences to his family and friends, too.

In my career as a fireman I have performed CPR on over 200 victims. The success rates is very low. It is never pretty. The victim does not spontaneously jump up and thank you for saving his life. The surrounding family, friends, bystanders and hecklers just add to the confusion of the scene. Intubation of a patient is not pretty to watch for the uninitiated. This I know, we gave our best efforts every single time. From the SIDS baby to the 97 year old geriatric patient, every one deserves and gets our best.

Thank you for responding to this unfortunate accident. You were doing what you knew how to do and did your best for all involved.

Thank you for your support. The resort (Mexico is not as advanced in health care or rapid response) had no defib, among other things. The "EMS" personnel were two guys in white shirts who boarded him and ran off - no medical kit no high tech ambulance...Just lights and sirens :( No intubation equipment. Thanks again, and thank you for all you do!

---------- Post added February 4th, 2014 at 08:57 PM ----------

No, no AEDs, no intubation or IV equipment, No defibs, and the O2 was at the dive shop not the beach staging site. The ambulance had no equipment just lights. The EMS had no equipment save a small kit or two. Unfortunately, in this case, there was clearly water filled in his lungs, his pupils were blown, and there was no bringing him back. We should be very grateful for the rapid response men and women, and the technology available her in the US of A...

---------- Post added February 4th, 2014 at 09:03 PM ----------

EEG Girl, please send the condolences of the group (including me) who worked on this gentleman. Whatever happened to him, happened quickly. Probably passed out or had coronary failure. Judging from his condition at the scene I would say he passed out under water and inhaled seawater, drowning. But, there is really no way to know for sure. It would make me rest easier knowing the his family had some info about the incident, so their minds did not run away with them :) It is better to know. There are some posts that might be helpful. Again, my condolences for your loss.

May my diving never include finding someone unconscious on the bottom. Certainly a memory you can never forget no matter how much you want to.

FWIW, I didn't read studebackers comment as an attack on those helping but as "people need to stay out of the way and give those working room to work". I'd also imagine with people coming out of the dive shop to help and the "ambulance" running around without equipment, it seemed like a disorganized scene. I can't imagine being that ambulance driver daily driving back to the hospital hoping your patient doesn't die, but helpless to do anything.

It sounds as if the best care possible was given (prompt and uninterrupted CPR) and, in this case, the outcome would not have been different in the US.

Condolences to the family and many thanks to the bystanders for their willingness to provide care.

Without divulging private information he was described as an "Excellent Swimmer" and participated on "swim teams". It appears that he was free-diving and he could "up to 3 1/2 min holding his breath", which makes shallow water black-out a likely culprit. I don't like speculating, but it seems likely given the clues.

I know freediving is the "new hot thing," but the possibility of an underwater blackout scares the crap out of me.

Extending your breath hold time as long as possible, is by definition risky, since you only know if it was "longer than possible" when it's too late.

flots.

Condolences to his friends and family. At least he must have died doing something he loved. And thanks to those who responded. I hope and pray should something like this ever happen to me, people like yourselves are present to give me at least a fighting chance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom