Snorkeler feared taken by shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Highliner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Man killed in Australian shark attack-police
Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:40pm IST Email | Print | Share| Single Page[-] Text [+]
SYDNEY (Reuters) - A 51-year-old man who disappeared while swimming with his son near an Australian beach on Saturday may have been killed by a shark, police said.

The man was at a beach south of Perth, capital of Western Australia state, when he suddenly disappeared from view in the early morning, Sergeant Peter Whitney told Reuters.

He was with his 24-year-old son at the time, who had earlier seen a shark in the area, police said. Another witness had also seen the man struggling in the water.

"The son saw a shark in the area and lost sight of his father," Whitney said by telephone. "It is presumed at this stage to be a shark attack. The information from witnesses suggests this is a confirmed shark attack."

The attack took place at Port Kennedy, on the Indian Ocean coast to the south of Perth. Police searched the area with boats, police on horseback and vehicles but as of late afternoon had found no trace of the man.

"At this stage they have not located the missing person," Whitney said.

Australian Broadcasting Corporation named the man as Brian Guest, a banker, and said he had been snorkelling for crabs when the attack occurred and was just six metres from the shore at the time.

Sharks are a regular threat around Australian beaches and attacks on humans, although uncommon, periodically occur.

© Thomson

Last edited:
Sharks are a regular threat around Australian beaches and attacks on humans, although uncommon, periodically occur.

I would think for something to be a "regular threat" then attacks would have to be a common occurrence.

That said best wishes to the man's family and friends.

I read this story earlier today, and one thing I thought was interesting was:

"His family insisted the great white responsible should not be hunted down and destroyed, with Mr Guest previously telling his family that if he were ever to fall victim to a man-eating shark then 'so be it'."

Even though this is a horrible thing to happen, I'm glad he and his family realize that this isn't jaws and that the shark was doing what sharks do. I personally love sharks, ever since I was a child I've been obsessed with sharks. If ever something happens to me, I'd want the same. Its not the sharks fault.

Here is a link to the story I read:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tted-body-man-jaws-witnesses-look-horror.html

"His family insisted the great white responsible should not be hunted down and destroyed, with Mr Guest previously telling his family that if he were ever to fall victim to a man-eating shark then 'so be it'."

Even though this is a horrible thing to happen, I'm glad he and his family realize that this isn't jaws and that the shark was doing what sharks do. I personally love sharks, ever since I was a child I've been obsessed with sharks. If ever something happens to me, I'd want the same. Its not the sharks fault.

Thanks for the link, a very good read and it's great to hear that the father thought about the situation before and made his wishes known. However, just to play devil's advocate, I don't think the policy of hunting down a "killer" shark is one of vengeance (i.e., it really shouldn't something that the victim or victim's family has much of a say in) - my understanding is that sharks don't usually attack people, but if one does and develops a taste for it, it may become a greater danger to more people. Moral issues aside (maybe that should just be tough luck for those of us who decide to get into the water), isn't it this risk to others that dictates policy on what to do with animals that attack people?

Just a question Is it fact that shark can develop a "taste for humans"? I'm not a biologist but I'd think after having a taste of human the shark might think about going back to its normal prey. Have there been incidences where a shark has been known to seek out humans vs its normal prey?

Also its very likely that this shark didn't really get a good look at what it was about to bite. Great whites are ambush predators. This may have been a case of mistaken identity.

The main issue I have with hunting a "killer shark" is all they are going to do is kill sharks. Chances are that shark is long gone.

Still this is a tragic story, I dive with my father and the thought of anything happening to him is terrible. But it appears the victim understood the risks involved as do I.

'The chances that these bozos caught the shark, our shark, is 100-1 Martin, a 100-1. I want to be sure, you want to be sure, we all want to be sure. Now the digestive track of this creature is extremley slow, whatever he has eaten in the last 24 hours is bound to still be in there'

Matt Hooper

Just a question Is it fact that shark can develop a "taste for humans"? I'm not a biologist but I'd think after having a taste of human the shark might think about going back to its normal prey. Have there been incidences where a shark has been known to seek out humans vs its normal prey?

Also its very likely that this shark didn't really get a good look at what it was about to bite. Great whites are ambush predators. This may have been a case of mistaken identity.

The main issue I have with hunting a "killer shark" is all they are going to do is kill sharks. Chances are that shark is long gone.
My understanding is that people are not usually on the menu as they have comparatively little body fat compared to a seal. We are, despite what insurance company height/weight charts indicate, to bony and chewy for the average great white to decide to switch from the regular menu to eating people. Unless a great white is in mid ocean where there are no other meals around I don't see a shark's acquired "taste" for people as an issue - and frankly any pelagic shark encounter has a higher likely hood of an attack as there are often no other potential meals around so it is a take it when you can get it attitude regardless of any prior history of eating people.

As you stated, most GW attack are cases of mistaken identity where the shark attacks from below what is suspects is a seal. It takes a big bite, then lets it bleed out and expire before finishing it. Of course if it attacks a person by mistake, the damage is already done.

A related concern is the proliferation of shark dive/feeding operations that could potentially lead many varieties of sharks to associate divers with food - although that still would require a cognitive leap from "divers are around" food to "divers are food". I know when diving off NC, if I start poking around under a piece of wreck or swim off away from the wreck, I usually attrack the attention of one or more sand tigers, who I assume suspect I am spearfishing and may shortly come up with a goody for them to steal. Obviously there is some association of me with lunch, but no real association of me being lunch - although when an 8 to 10 ft sand tiger speeds up and starts following you closely, you do tend to wonder...

I guess...if it's your time to go.....misadventure is the way to go.
No one's going to remember Great Grand Pa Dave who died from complications of Diabetes.
But Great Grand Pa Dave who was eaten by a shark?....Now that they'll talk about for generations to come.

I knew the Jaws quote was coming it was only a matter of time.

What is really bad is that is based off of memory...then again I just watched it last night for the 50th time.

Seriously though, these stories really suck....the chances of this happening are incredible. So close to shore to...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom