Snorkel plastic turned Yellow!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jennasnyder1980

Registered
Reaction score
I just joined the site today so hello everyone!

I started SCUBA in 2002 as an undergrad and had to purchase my own fins, mask, snorkel and booties.

I used them for my open water, rinsed with water and put them away in my closet and took them out and the clear plastic for my snorkel is yellow (including the mouthpiece). Also, my mask seems to be turning a little yellow too.

My question is: is this okay?? I am a bit concerned.

Thanks
Jenn

I don't think it really hurts anything but looks. If you store clear silicone with rubber (like neoprene booties, and your fins may have some rubber too) the silicone will turn yellow. Best to keep any clear stuff in it's own plastic bag or container.

Damselfish:
I don't think it really hurts anything but looks. If you store clear silcone with rubber (like neoprene booties, and your fins may have some rubber too) the silicone will turn yellow. Best to keep any clear stuff in it's own plastic bag or container.

Agreed.

This does nothing to the functionality of the equipment. I have a snorkel that goes back to 1994 where the mouthpiece has yellowed, but it works as well as it ever did.

Pax,

But if ti bothers you too much - take a toothbrush and some toothpaste and simply clean it - you would be suprised of the changes.
Mania

mania:
But if ti bothers you too much - take a toothbrush and some toothpaste and simply clean it - you would be suprised of the changes.
Mania

Does this really work on stuff that has been yellow for a number of years, Mania? I was under the impression that once it happened, there was no going back.

It's ok, although the 'cheaper' silicone that you get with discount equipment (i.e. the kits you see at Costco, Sports Chalet, etc.) turn yellow and shrivel up veyr quickly. This doesn't happen with better quality masks ... they still yellow a bit, but don't change shape. I've had mine for 5 years and it doesn't look much different from a new one.

jennasnyder1980:
I just joined the site today so hello everyone!

I started SCUBA in 2002 as an undergrad and had to purchase my own fins, mask, snorkel and booties.

I used them for my open water, rinsed with water and put them away in my closet and took them out and the clear plastic for my snorkel is yellow (including the mouthpiece). Also, my mask seems to be turning a little yellow too.

My question is: is this okay?? I am a bit concerned.

Thanks
Jenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom