Snorkel equipment care?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detox

Registered
Reaction score
Hi I know we mainly talk about diving equipment but perhaps you can help me with snorkel care? I recently purchased a US divers snorkel mask and tube. I had also purchased a set of fins but accidentally lost them on the bus as I had left it when I got off =(. I just took them to cancun and had a blast with them but now what? How should I store and maintain them? the rubber I would guess is sensitive and I love them so much I really want to take care of them. I heard of armour all should I use that on them? also when snorkeling I spit into the mask should I use that method over some defogger chemicals?

Clean your mask and snorkle well with fresh water and dry. I hang my masks or place them in a box so the skirt doesn't get kinked. Make sure you clean each well and dry before storage as things will grow. I would NOT apply any "goop" to either.

MD

A good rinse in fresh water will do. Personaly I wash every thing in water with a little wet suit shampoo in it but Im usaly in the water every weekend. This is how I treat my gear and some of it is over 10 years old, the most important thing is to not leave it out in the direct light any longer than it has to be. Leave it out to dry than put it in a cool dark place like a closet on a shelf.
Spit works in a mask fine, just rinse the mask than put it on, chances are no one will ever ask to borrow it though:)
baby shampoo and water work good and are cheep, I sometimes use a gel defoger i think its "gold" something? I have been told that 500psi is another good brand.

If your mask has a clear skirt, don't let it sit in contact with neoprene for any period of time - even though the mask skirt and the neoprene are both solids, there will be a chemical reaction which will cause the clear skirt to discolor and turn brown. So don't leave it in a box with a wetsuit if you have one!

Otherwise, what they said - rinse with fresh water and dry.

awsome tips everyone mucho gracias. I'll give it a good rinse in fresh water tonight. I dont have a case for my mask do you think Its essential to have a case?

to munch on silicone. Get a case for your mask.

eewww gross really? guess I have to get a mask. As stated before I lost my fins. I am also planning on going through swim classes and attempt to get scuba certified. DO you think I should wait till I get my next fins perhaps a nice scuba type fin or just go ahead and get a nice snorkely type fins?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom