snorkel and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the DIR stance on using (or why not using) snorkel?

What's a snorkel? :confused:

Oh yeah, that thingy I gave to my nephew to play with in the pool!

Seriously tho, I can only think of one dive that I even remotely wished that I had one and even then it wasnt a big deal. Environmental conditions like long surface swims or rough seas are taken into account when planning the dive, so it becomes a essentially a non issue.

The only time i can remember wishing for one was during a SI on the Oriskany. Someone dropped lost a camera or something and it floated off way behind the boat before anyone noticed it. I jumped in with fins and mask after it and it took a pretty long swim to get to it.

That plus all the other kicks.
Kicks are now practiced in the water rather than on picnic benches. The resistance from the water is much more realistic.

When we first practiced the kicks, we did them at the surface as well, but in our doubles and breathing off our regs. Think it's probably easier to demonstrate the proper kicks in a bathing suit with the snorkel. Like the idea.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom