Snofolime, Soda Lime, Dive Sorb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Mike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
OK,

For scrubbers we have

1. Extend Air - Soda Lime
2. Snofolime
3. Soda Lime from WR Grace
4. DiveSorb from Drager.

What are the major differences and advantages etc to each of these (extend air we have already discussed).

I have reviewed the MSD and EPA sheets for each of these products and I do not see any chemical differences.

As soda Lime is soooooo much less expensive than the others, I am wondering why I cannot go to WRG and just buy it and save several $$$ per fill.

Mike...

Grace's tradename for diving grade CO2 absorbant is Sodasorb.

I use it because the Prism was tested with it, it's sold through the same people and costs less than the rest available around here. :D

The difference between the sorbs is in their actual composition and characteristics like dust resistance, surface hardness etc. .

I don't have any independent side-by-side comparisson between them in the same RB under the same testing conditions. Would be nice to have though.

In Europe CE is only valid if the absorbant required by the manufcturer is used. That explains Sofnolime's and DiveSorb's availability in that market.

Where do you purchase Spherasorb?

I see you are from California so it must not be in the UK where it appears to be made.

Mike...

scubahubby:
It is available from www.tech-blue.com.

It is used in the medical insdustry so it should be available from other sources as well.

- Ozzy

Thank you,

Mike...

Company named DEE chem (281-414-5998)imports soda lime (tested the same as sofnolime) and sells at a very reasonable price

forfun:
Company named DEE chem (281-414-5998)imports soda lime (tested the same as sofnolime) and sells at a very reasonable price
Imports what? What manufacturer and trade name?
What Diver Mike called Soda Lime has the trade name SodaSorb, is manufactured
by WR Grace in the US and is distributed by Steam Machines in Tennessee.

WR Grace Sodasorb is decent stuff. However, I have found it to be dustier and more slime prone when water hits it vs. Sofnolime made by molecular products in the UK. When tamping the can there is a remarkable difference in how they settle initially.

If I had to choose between the two I would consider my manf. suggested sorb preferences and to a certain degree cost. Given the two I would opt for Sofnolime because of it's consistency overall. X

Probably worth noting, when talking Sodasorb, that Grace makes a lot of different grades of Sodasorb, for medical and industrial purposes as well as diving.

The official stuff for diving is Sodasorb HP. but RB divers trying to save a buck have tried most of the others.

BTW the HP is the only one labeled for size, 4-8 and 6-12, so it can also be identified that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom