Sneezing underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cosmographer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone experienced sneezing while diving? Is it even possible? This question actually has a purpose - I ask because I have a tendency to start wheezing is after I start sneezing. And usually, the only time I start sneezing is when different parts of my body experience a sharp temperature differential. For example, if I'm completely warm and a cold breeze makes my exposed feet cold ... or if my entire body is cold but a shaft of sunlight warms a part of my arm. So being aware of my tendency to wheeze after sneezing, (and from what I gather, wheezing is dangerous while diving - akin to an asthma attack) I wanted to know if it's even possible to sneeze while diving. Anyone have any input on this?

I can't answer as I neither wheeze, nor have I sneezed under water, but it seems to me as long as you keep breathing through your reg, you should be fine. That is, unless the wheezing lasts long enough for you to black out or something... is it normally really bad or just for a few seconds or what? I'd recommend discussing it with a diving knowledgeable doctor too, before you even start, assuming you haven't gone through OW class yet.

I have sneezed underwater although not for some time. My main problem is accumulation of phlegm after sneezing, needs to be gotten rid off, the fish love it.

I recently completed my OW and have a total of 9 dives. I thought that perhaps breathing compressed air or using a regulator might prevent sneezing, but it seems like that was just wishful thinking. When I do have a sneezing attack, I use a rescue inhaler to stop the wheezing. Since it's the same stuff asthmatics use, I assume that wheezing underwater has the same consequences as having an asthma attack underwater - namely the risk of lung overexpansion upon ascending. I guess I've been lucky so far. Not really sure what I can do about this except do my best to hold my sneezes and surface as quickly as safely possible if I feel a sneezing fit coming on. (It actually happens very rarely and irregularly - no more than once a month at most - and always due to that weird temperature differential issue).

Not a problem, just place your hand in front of your reg to keep it in place.

Many people react to light by sneezing, yea light. And temperature changes can cause it too.

Called ACHOO sydrome , really look it up on SicentificAmerican website.

You may noticed when you have your eyes checked that the light in your eye or eyes will cause you to sneeze.

Probably better than spit to keep the fog out...

Has anyone experienced sneezing while diving? Is it even possible? This question actually has a purpose - I ask because I have a tendency to start wheezing is after I start sneezing. And usually, the only time I start sneezing is when different parts of my body experience a sharp temperature differential. For example, if I'm completely warm and a cold breeze makes my exposed feet cold ... or if my entire body is cold but a shaft of sunlight warms a part of my arm. So being aware of my tendency to wheeze after sneezing, (and from what I gather, wheezing is dangerous while diving - akin to an asthma attack) I wanted to know if it's even possible to sneeze while diving. Anyone have any input on this?

Personally I am more worried about popping an ear drum when sneezing more than anything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom