snapshots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldnotdead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have snorkeled with the disposable underwater cameras up until now, and used one of these for my daughters intro to scuba. On shallow shore dives they work fine. I've looked at the stickeys but I need info on starting out with gear to go deeper. I have a Nikon L18. The housings seem reasonably priced for this camera and I need info on what I can expect from just a camera and housing. I want to experiment before going deep ($) into this and a housing seems the way to start. Any guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks
OND

Hi there, I have been using a basic snapshot camera (olympus mju 725SW, 7 mp) with housing.
No strobes etc. Good thing with this camera is its waterproof so if housing leaks a little its ok.
My pics on here are all taken with this camera so u can have a look. Go to photo gallerys/ member gallerys and find me.
I find i can get some nice macro shots as the internal flash is sufficient, wide angle shots not so good but still ok.
Also, i am far from an expert, but it definately helps to use photo software for your underwarer pics.
I am looking to upgrade at the moment but pretty happy with some shots that i have got and its alot of fun : )

You can get the Ikelite housing for the L18.

The problem with the L18 is that it has no manual controls. These can be very helpful underwater.

BTW, never thought I'd see anyone else from PR here on SB. :D

Sorry for the tardy reply. Been out of town. Thanks for the responses. My wife has a Canon powershot that she no longer uses, how is it set up for the manual controls? I could "borrow" it if it would work out better.
Bubbletrubble; I've been gone and moved back.
Thanks again OND

Not all Canon Powershot cameras have manual settings. The older, discontinued "A" series like my A570 do have manual settings -- ability to set F-stop, shutter speed, and ISO independently.

Which Canon does your wife have?
Do you guys own the Canon UW housing for it?

New Canon UW housings typically cost $160 - $200 online. FYI, Canon doesn't offer UW housings for all of its cameras. I specifically selected my camera model because I knew that the UW housing was available for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom