SMS 100 Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ev780

Contributor
Reaction score
So I am really liking the SMS 100 system. Looks like it has the most adaptability to different configurations. Back mount single or double: side mount single or double; back mount with sling. etc etc. Although as usual with adaptable systems it is probably not GREAT at any one thing. A couple questions I could not find during search.

1. What exactly are "Edd's modifications." I have never seen the actual list. Lots of talk about it but no list of what they are.
2. When using in single recreational back mount mode, has anyone added any ditchable weight pockets. Hollis has some but do not state if they will work on the SMS100. I HATE weight belts. Anybody have any integrated weight style system they want to share.
3. Travel--Those of you that travel. Is this thing really any more bulk than a Scubapro or Oceanic recreational BC?
4. Any real quality issues?

Thanks.

1. Edds mods include
Moving the inflator to te bottom and putting the dump on the shoulder.
Rolling the top of the bladder somewhat to focus more lift towards your butt. This sacrifices some of the total lift.
Routing the shoulder straps straight down to the waist instead of back. It makes it easier to carry back up lights. Also there is a different bungie system.

2 you could fit weight pockets in the belt. But after getting into sidemount you may just want to dive a single aluminum 80 on the side rather than worrying with backmount. Edds mod interfere with backmount a little but you can still do it.

3 sms100 is a little bulky. Similar to or a little bulkier than a scubapro knighthawk. Maybe look at the new sms75. It incorporates a lot of edds type of mods and is a little more streamlined.

I dive a stock sms100d (d for dual bladder) I have a weight plate on the back of my sms100 so I don't have to wear a built. I found a weight harness interferes with the sidemount tanks because hte weight pockets are right where the tanks want to be.

Last edited:
Bumping my own thread.

Thanks 00Wabbit.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

#1 you can call Edd at cave adventurers and he will sell you a SMS100 cheaper than anyone else and he will also modify it at your request. Some of the hardware will cost a little bit extra but Edd will not be undersold. You will get the best deal from him.

I dive a SMS100D with many modifications considered to be "Edd mods". 1)loop bungees 2)harness routed to waist belt 3)inflator moved to bottom, pull dump on top.

As for using it in a single tank mode WHY??? If you already have a BP/W or BC just use that. The SMS is really designed to SM not BM. Hollis added many options to be marketable as an "All in one system" but it was really designed for SM. You would need to buy cam straps and an STA.
You can buy any weight pockets that will fit on a waist band and just lace them on and put required amount of weight inside.
Just my 2 cents

Or you could just buy an SMS 75 with all of those modification built in already :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom