Smoking pot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue has it right-heat the pan first then add the fat....but if pasta is sticking and burning,Id say its time for a better pot with a thicker bottom! :11:

I have thick bottomed teflon coated pans... and they work great, even on an electric range.

Cheapest, best made pans I've found- Everyday Living pans from Fred Meyer. Just make sure to use non-metal utensils in them, and they'll last for years. I have 2 different EL frying pans, and an EL saucepan. All 3 were $15-$20 each, and I consider them one of the best values in cookware available.

I was given an All-Clad Non-stick frying pan as a Christmas present, and while a very nice piece of cookware, it isn't leaps and bounds greater then the $15 Everyday Living pans. I have never had a problem making omelets, getting a good hard sear, frying, or sauteing in either pan. Burning has never been a problem. I really don't have a preference between the two, but long term, the All-Clad pan will probably last a lot longer. Course.... I've gotten 4 years of hard use out of the $15 pan.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get good cookware. Good technique will go a long way in determining how well any piece of coookware works for you. But some cookware isn't suited to doing much more then boiling water. Good, solid all-metal construction is a must. You want the bottom to be thick... around 1/4" or so.

Flimsy light guage stainless steel pots and pans are garbage, and will easily burn anything you put in them if you're not careful. To help you with what you have now, until you decide to get something different, try reducing the heat as much as possible. For your soup, if your recipe allows, get your liquid boiling first, then sharply reduce the heat (maybe to just above a simmer), let the pan cool off a little (even by pulling it off the burner for a while if you need to), and then add the solid ingredients. Stir often! That pan is your enemy. It wants to burn your food. Don't even give it a chance! You might have to cook a little slower then you're used to.

Kinda long post... hope it helps you some.

-B.

Awwww. I have the same thing with my Mom's Revereware. She got it as a wedding present in 1941. When she died, I got it. I can never get rid of it. But I won't use it, either. :11ztongue Well? It sucks! Mom would understand if she saw my cookware. (Mark, you just hush).
So it sits in the cabinets, and the stuff I use is on the rack.

The thing, I believe, is to heat the pan as evenly as possible, so perhaps a diffuser will help. Good luck.

Ah, it's oKAY, but not the best. I used my own set for years until I got married and got some AllClad as wedding presents. I have since rounded out the collection to an astounding quantity. It's expensive. But I use it all, all the time!
There is no comparison. It totally rocks.

I have reformed so many people over to the Allclad side-every Thanksgiving I journey down to dreaded SoCal to visit my sister + brother-I pack my own pans because theirs suck! They now both have sets and swear by them!
In this case you get what you pay for!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom