Smoking and DCS....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Morning everyone. First question to this fourm, I was curious, in our open water class they mentioned that "in theory smoking can be a factor in dcs" or even cause dcs for that matter. I am curious how true this is, obviously I ask cause I am a smoker. Are there any cases that are directly linked to smoking and DCS? Are they assuming that the cases related to someone that smokes it is an assumed factor? Any one have a medical reference on this? I was looking through DAN's site and was unable to find anything relating to this.

CR

Thanks Spectre, I guess it is time to quit... been looking for a reason to for a while now... I at least like this one.

What a contentious topic this one will always be! Here's my 5 cents worth from research I have done for physiology lectures I present:

Studies on acute carbon monoxide poisoning demonstrate that immediately after carbon monoxide is administered, blood flow to the brain increases by up to 400% of its control value. The ramifications of this on CNS oxygen toxicity and acute decompression illness remain in question for further study.

Maximum permissible purity standards for breathing-air allow for a maximum content of carbon monoxide of 10 parts per million. By comparison, a quick drag on a cigarette contains in excess of 500 parts per million carbon monoxide. I am personally curious as to the effect this causes in the diver having a quick drag just before getting in the water to have a dive. Such an increase in cerebral blood flow must surely have an effect on nitrogen perfusion and absorption, and thus influence the risk of neurological acute decompression illness on what may be a normally safe dive - food for thought!!

Also it has been documented that cigarette smoke inhalation after a dive has an affect on pulmonary bubble mechanics that may hinder effective elimination of inert gas and predispose to ADI. As silent bubbles accumulate in the lung filters anyway quite extensively in the initial 30 to 45 minutes after surfacing, it would probably be prudent to avoid that desperate cigarette for a good hour or so after the dive.

Of course just as with almost all other theories in decompression, again these are hypothetical concerns and have not been demonstrated emphatically.

An interesting release, dated 28 April 1998, as reported in the ‘Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences’, states that scientists in Scotland have shown that a smoker’s fate may depend on a single gene in the body. The gene identified provides a defence against the toxic chemicals in inhaled cigarette smoke. When the gene is disabled in mice, they quickly develop skin tumours in response to cigarette smoke. Professor Roland Wolf, who led the team from Dundee, Glasgow, and Edinburgh, said: “ It has long been known that our bodies contain factors which determine our sensitivity to cancer-causing chemicals. Now we have shown that a single gene could be profoundly important in protecting us against cancer.” The gene is the one responsible for making an enzyme called gluathione S-tranferase that appears to have a protective role, perhaps by helping to break down the toxic chemicals in cigarette smoke, which can otherwise start a tumour developing. The gene is known to be present in humans, and is found in the lungs and bladder, two places where cancer is strongly linked to smoking. It is also known to exist in slightly different forms in different people, with different capacities for detoxifying chemicals. This, the Scottish team believes, may well explain how some people survive to an old age in spite of years of smoking, while others die relatively young from cancer.

....maybe there’s some hope after-all.

I'd be happy to email further articles of information I have prepared and currently use as lecture handouts on this and other topics, send me an email and I'll gladly forward by return to anyone who's interested.

kind regards

DENNIS GUICHARD
NAUI Instructor Trainer
IANTD Technical Instructor
HSE Commercial Offshore Diver Medic
IMCA Saturation Life Support Technician
Red Cross Paramedic (level 4) Primary Emergency Care
ASHI First Aid Instructor
Retired Special Forces member

Hello:

To my knowledge, a direct comparison of smokers, non-smokers and DCS risk has not been made. It is not uncommon, in decades past, for commercial divers to smoke. I am not aware that they thought that this increased the risk of DCS.

If the diver were to strain and pull to quickly reboard the boat to “light up,” that could cause a problem from nuclei formation. However, reduced blood flow from nicotine is probably a minor risk as fast as DCS is concerned. Now, cancer, that is an altogether different matter. Stopping is a good idea.

Dr Deco :doctor:

I realy want to say something... i am 28 and have been smoking for 14 years now, been diving since a was 13. My father was atech diver in the 70s, he has smoked his entire life, still does. Granted he has problems due to a lake of, let's say, as concervative tables as the one we use, but smoking has never stopped or impaired his diving. From what i have heard if anything seeing your body reacts to the co2 increase, smoking before diving would probably only if anything make you passe out while surfacing 9which is bad enough), basically you are altering your po2 and your co2 levels and your body just might get confused of how mush air you might actually need.
Then again i could be wrong. I agree it's better to stop i am following a course to foward my career in scuba, and in that regard decide to stop smoking. My reason to creat as little irritation to my eustachian tube. But that is actually the only influance i think smoking can actually have on diving.

Well I can say I quit.... I am 3 weeks without a smoke... My only question is, at what point do you start the habit again? I would like to put it in multiple chioce form :)

A.) You don't start again

B.) You light up that smoke when you get home then stop 3 months before your next trip (Diving related purpose)

C.) You don't start again and start carrying a gun as your vice to deal with stupid people (I am sure the legal implications are pretty severe and are going to keep me from diving)

D.) Maybe some people are just naturally nicer people when they smoke.

In all seriousness.... glad I did it and this being my third attempt to quit, this time is alot better then the first two, since I knew what to expect.

My vote would be "Don't start again."

yeah that is the plan... I am told the cravings go away after about 10 years. :furious:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom