Smb and reel advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need to invest in a SMB and Reel, would like some advice please. I am looking for a SMB which can be inflated different ways, below and at surface, orally or using purge second stage. I would like a reel to attach. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

My choice in DSMB's (Halcyon closed) will probably not be your preference. However, I think you'll find the Light Monkey reels to be as good as you can buy. Light Monkey has great service and support too. I use them for both cave and upline when doing deco.

- Bjorn

Divingcuba, what are your parameters of use?

The diving/water conditions (sea state, current etc) most typically encountered? This effects the size of DSMB needed, where size equals potential visibility over distance and/or in high waves etc.

What depths (submerged) would you wish to deploy the DSMB from? When you get to safety stop depth or upon leaving bottom depth (better if significant current)? If bottom depth, what depth will that be (max)?

Assuming open water rec diving, a spool is better suited than a reel. Size of spool or amount of line will depend on at what depths you are planning on shooting it. Spools are made from either stainless steel, Delrin or ABS. I like the Delrin ones. Below is a link to some types of spools with some useful info:

Finger Spools - Dive Gear Express

As far as type of SMB DD has as always given good info. I have a big 6ft and a 3ft, which one i use depends on conditions. Personally I like closed, oral/lp inflate SMBs with OPV so can be used both at depth and surface. I use a Carter and Halcyon SMB but have my eye on a Deep Sea Supply SMB when funds allow. Carter customer service is top notch and my Halcyon SMB has proven to be very reliable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom