SMART(?????)COM woes....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackdav

Reaction score
I got my SmartCom and messed about with it as much as I could until my serial IR interface arrived. Also known as a "dongle" (love that worf!) this is a device which plugs into one of your serial ports and uses the IRda protocol to provide communications between your desktop computer software and your dive computer. A great idea in theory but in practice it is turning out to be a stinker for me!!!
The Uwatec webpage listed 4 dongles which they recommended as being useable with the SmartCom. I ordered one of those (the Extended Systems ESI-9680 ExtendAccessPC ... formerly known as the JetEye). I installed everything the way the instructions said to and when I was done, the dongle software detected the dive computer just fine, but the dive computer software ("SmartTrak") was unable to make connection with the dive computer. And so there are a zillion things I can't do, like change the units to psi and feet .... like control how long the display light stays on for..... like analyze and or download information from dives... and most of the things I shelled out the extra $ to get the Smart Com for. I called Scuba Pro HQ over in El Cajon, got cut off a few times, and left a callback number with a tech. It's only been a couple of hours so far, but haven't heard back.
Has anyone else had any problems (or successes for that matter) with the SmartCom IR interface? Please tell me where I've gone wrong?
Is anyone seriously considering getting one of the Smart computers? If so, you might want to hold off on your purchase until the diving community jury renders a verdict on this IR Interface, because without a useable user interface, this dive computer is pretty darned under par, imho.

;-0

Jack in Phoenix

I have used the IR interface on my laptop to connect with my Smart Pro, and not had any problems with it. Did you find the IR port on the computer and make sure it is unobstructed? On the Pro, the lens protector covers up the IR interface, so you have to open the lens cover(which simply hinges up) to access it. Also, with IR devices, the two ports must be VERY close to work properly. I generally place the computer about 8-10 inches away from the IR port on my computer.

Did you properly install the driver software for the IR port? Were you able to test the port to make sure that the IR device is working properly? On the SmartTrak software, did you go to "Options"(on the menu on the top bar) and then "dive computer settings"? That is when it will tell you whether or not it can find the computer.....but remember, it must be very close and in DIRECT line of sight. If you need any help that I may be able to provide, drop me an email at Aviatrr@aol.com. I have used my computer to download over 50 dives from my Smart Pro, and to change the settings as needed.

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

My problem is that everything seemed to be loaded correctly. I am using a desktop not a laptop. I even had to send off for one of the serial IR interfaces recommended by Uwatec (ka-ching there goes another $75). The IR interface came with its own software which also seemed to load just fine. The IR interface software even recognizes my dive computer and makes a cute noise and displays the message, "Aladin SmartCom" when I turn it on. But when I run the *!*!*!*!* Uwatec SmartTrak software and click on "Dive Computer Settings" within OPTIONS, it just displays an annoying little flashlite and then the message "Not connected with Smart". So I am beginning to suspect that there is either something wrong with my SmartCom, or it has something to do with the fact that I am using com4 to communicate with my computer, or maybe I need to install updated SmartTrak software. But for what I had to pay for this dive computer I am sorely disappointed in it so far. If anyone can think of any other possible causes I'd love to hear.

Regards to ALL!

Jack in Phoenix

:) Sorry to hear your having so much problems with your computer. I really don't think the problem is with your SmartCom's IR port, it has a lot to do with your Computer's operating system, and the type of IR device you are using. I bet that if your are using either Windows 98/ME/2000 or XP, you should be able to lick all your problems.

I own the SmartCom myself, you do have to be on the money when interfacing between your IR port and the unit, it can be more of a finesse thing at times, but I have had absolutely no problem getting it to work.

When you do get it working, and you will. You will love that Smart Com, it has a lot to offer that the other computers on the market currently.

High adjustability, relability and overall high tech toying around, you can't beat it.

Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom