Small rust on LP Steel 80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coleusna2006

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have searched the threads and found several that talked about stripping and repainting a tank, but I was unable to find an answer to my question. I purchased two used LP steel 80s, they are Fabers (one seems to be a 98 and I am not sure about the other one) for $80 each. The owner of my LDS says that I got a steel on the tanks but they have been painted blue over the original white and there are a few very small spots on each tank (around 1mm x 1mm) where the paint has been chipped off and have a little rust on them. The LDS owner removed the boot of one of the tanks and there was a little rust where the boot contacted the tank but he said that they seemed to be in good shape. My question is what I should do to the small rust spots? Should I sand them and put touch up paint over the spots, should I just leave them be, or should I strip and repaint (cold galvanization) the entire tank? Also how often should I remove the boots (they are on very tightly), should I remove the boots after every dive to wash and dry the boots and the tanks (that seems like a lot of work) Any input is greatly appreciated.

If they're Fabers, they are spray galvanized. In that case, you could lightly sand the rusted areas and spray it with an aerosol galvanizer. XSScuba posted something about the spray here and how to get it. As mentioned in other threads, you really don't want to remove metal from a tank if you can avoid it, so don't reach for the grinder.

I'm a bit leery of touch-up paint over formerly rusted areas (may conceal ongoing corrosion, and I'm not entirely confident that I could get out all the rust without serious grinding), and I've never tried to strip an entire tank and repaint/regalvanize it with a spray. If you do a full strip and repaint, you have to be careful about the painting process you choose--a powder coating process will damage the tank during the "baking" phase. I'd try to avoid any process that subjects the tank to significant heat changes.

the think about rust is you have to remove it or it will keep rusting.. if there is a little bit left it will continue too rust.. sand it by hand depends on the area affected how deep ect if there is rust on the out side what would the inside look like... is it a small area rusted through ect..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom