Small Hope Bay Lodge in Andros, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bump... I was wondering the same thing. It looks like it is the only game in town from what
I can tell online. Anyone know of any other dive ops on Andros? We are thinking of going in August.

Note the free "Discover Scuba" course offered to all guests. They'll be on the same boat as you every day.

Yes, I have. Small, rustic, intimate, friendly, very laid back, good food, specialty & custom diving available. All units are on beach. They have no A/C, but do have fans. If you're there in the summer and there isn't a healthy breeze, you can roast inside.

Tremendous diver freedom, e.g., experienced divers can go about as deep as they want. The founder, Dick Birch, a delightful man who died too young of a nasty disease, believed in the diver taking responsibility for accurately assessing his own competence and comfort levels. It wasn't customary to ask for c-cards.

On balance, I'm not a huge fan of the scuba in this region, but SHB will take you to some sites that rank high on the Mid-Bahamas Quality Scale.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks for the info. SHB is booked on the week we wanted to travel, Coral caverns was shut down for some sort of permit issues. Tiamos website is not working for me. Still working on getting info on them.

Just came to this site to see about Andros diving as well. I was chekcing to see whether anyone had done any diving from the Emerald Palms on South Andros - it gets great reviews on Trip Advisor - but haven't read much about the diving.

http://www.emerald-palms.com/

Small Hope Bay Lodge = SUCKS

Don't stay at this place! My list of problems with this place are numerous despite what others appear to think.

Small Hope is overpriced compared to many other places i've been ($250 per day per person non-diver - that's $500 a day for a room for two with mediocre buffet type meals and the only plus - free booze. Our trip for three nights plus two days of diving - $2,200 flights not included), the facilities (rooms, dining room, etc.) are run down and look as if little in the way of upkeep has been done since the place was built in the 60's or 70's, no AC and given they label themselves as all-inclusive it seems it should be provided. As I previously mentioned there is free booze so you have been given the opportunity to get your moneys worth but if your diving every day it seems like not such a good idea.

Diving - pretty good although I felt the older fella on the boat was bit of a kook with a HUGE ego to boot (lots of stories about death on the high seas, etc.). Mandatory predive checks of flooding masks, etc. that although an easy pass were made a bit tense by the older fellas declarations that if for some reason people did not pass you were "on the boat for the dive" and it wasn't said in a friendly tone at all. I understand that safety is a primary concern but every dive master I've been with in the past has had a much better "bed side manner". All in all - if you go to this place stick wit the younger folks on the dive boat - MUCH friendlier!

A note on price - $330 - $340 a day if you dive which is a little more palatable but given the attitude you may get on the boat it seems other places in the bahamas would be worth your while. (Bonus info - the unpleasant fella on the boat who also happens to be the manager of the resort).

Summary - Keep Looking! My conversations with other folks after our departure lead me to believe there are plenty of places other than this with equal diving but of a much better value.

Oh yeah - they start spamming you right away as well.

What a shame. They have a very good rep locally.
Everything is expensive here in the islands, i guess it's only worth it if you enjoy it.....

I was over there for a day last "Crab Fest" (Mabe August last year) and really enjoyed diving with them. I didn't stay over night as i was only there for the day, but I was impressed by the quality of the food at the time. However, service and quality do vary wildly here abouts.

Mike Horneby (I assume) is actually a bit of a local legend and some would argue deserved of, at least some of, the ego. He and Brian Kakuk of Bahamas Underground, Abaco seem to be the guys they send in to collect the bits when things go wrong....untitled

Sorry to hear you had a crappy time, perhaps have a look at Riding Rock inn on San Salvador for the next one. Best diving i've yet enjoyed over here!! (i didn't see any Hammerheads tho....Gutted!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom