Small Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABQdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I haven't had the need for a dive light yet, but would like to have one if the situation demanded.

Without spending the big bucks that the HID lights cost what would be a recommendation for a smallish dive light that would fit nicely in a BC pocket? I haven't done any night dives yet, but will. I will dive in generally good vis conditions.

Iv'e heard good things about Ikelite and UK. Any suggestions.

I had both primary and backup lights by PrincetonTec. While the primary seems to do OK, the small one flooded. I figured "stuff happens", sent it back to the manufacturer (darn thing has lifetime warranty), couple days later got brand new replacement even with batteries included, went diving... Guess what? Flooded again. :) Gotta be that TwistOn design. Threw it away, got a small LED TekTite. We'll see how soon that goes south....

Forgot to mention. Same dive when my light flloded second time, my buddy's light flooded too, it was a small PrincetonTec same TwistOn disign, but a diffrent model...

The Ikelites are a good choice for a small BC pocket light
I have has mine for 5 years and it is still going strong

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/3pc_lite.html

I also have a UK cant remember its type It is in the back of the draw somwhere as it kept flooding.

I keep the Ikelite with me on everydive I make, but for Night Diving I have an Alpha HID. If you are planning on alot of night diving save your cash and get an HID you will not regret it.

Always night dive with a primary and a backup.

Cheers
Chris

ABQdiver,

First rule of night diving, you got to have 2 lights. ;-)

I carry a UK Light Cannon as my primary and a Pelican Super SaberLight as a backup. The Pelican is extremely BRIGHT! Has built in clip which comes in handy.

http://www.pelican.com/product/lights/index.htm

It uses 3 "C" size batteries. However Pelican also makes a 2 "C" light (almost exact same light) called the "Saberlight 2C" I believe. Obviously smaller.....

I also have the Ikelite "PC A" (bulky) and a Princeton TEC SURGE light (screwy switch). The PELICAN is MUCH brighter and the clip is usefull for me.

my $.02

-dawg

Thanks to all who responded. I didn't see a similar request for recommendations that was posted a day earlier. Guess I need a light to find my way around :)

ScubaDawg once bubbled...
ABQdiver,

I carry a UK Light Cannon as my primary and a Pelican Super SaberLight as a backup. The Pelican is extremely BRIGHT! Has built in clip which comes in handy.

-dawg

Have you had any troubles with your Light Cannon? Reading another thread in which NetDoc is very dissatified with the longevity of the bulbs is curious. They must be very fragile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom