SM and rec charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you make your own rig and dive it in ways not approved by retailers, you might die.)

if you make your own rig, how can retailers approve of how you dive it???? :idk::cool2:

Thanks for the pics. Very interesting. I would not mine seeing how it sits on you out of the water without a tank on. Just to look at some landmarks.

Jimmy

I'm not sure if Tegg's is home grown but a webbing only harness is the Razor seen at Go Side Mount - Steve Bogaerts

In no particular order, commercial side mount systems include:

Dive Rite Nomad EXP
Dive Rite Nomad XT
OMS SMS with Tesseract BC
Steve Bogaerts Razor
Hollis SMS100/SMS100D
Oxycheq DiveOps Recon 1/2 Extreme
Oxycheq DiveOps Recon 1/2 Signature
Unified Team Diving Z-Side Mount Harness

The Razor and Z are probably the two systems which are closest to webbing only. Personally, the Z system seems awfully like Steve's Razor so since Steve got it right first, Steve gets my support.

Dwayne

You forgot to mention the armadillo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you're interested in diving without a BC but the boat's aren't really wanting to deal with sidemount, I highly recommend this little plastic backplate. I'd suggest re-rigging it yourself, as the stock harness that I've seen them come with sucks. But it's very comfy to wear, even with just a tanktop/tshirt on, and it holds the tank snug and secure on your back. The freedom of movement is really nice as well. I only had to add weight. I'll most likely be adding a crotch strap and some more d-rings to it when I get around to diving it again. Of course this is only useful for diving with AL80's. If you are diving with floaty tanks, add more weight so you don't start to float when they get empty. Ive had no problems diving this in shallow reefs or deep wrecks.

French Reef - 30ft
IMG_0805%20copy.jpg

Spiegel Grove - 100ft
IMG_5502%20copy.jpg

Looks like this, and they run about $20-35 depending if you get it with a harness or not.
tp-201_detail_1.jpg

Extremely low profile, lightweight, easy to take on/off both yourself and the tank. There is a nice handle on the top too for picking up the tank also when moving it about a boat or other places.

For shore entry though, if it's calm, I'll toss the monkey rig on or the plastic backpack thing. If its rough, I throw the full BC on (since treading water with big waves and no BC sucks)

(safety disclaimer: Do not attempt to dive outside of standard equipment you can purchase from store shelves. If you make your own rig and dive it in ways not approved by retailers, you might die.)

oh noes! :shocked2: Not the disclaimer!

I dove bonaire in Sm Hollis sms100 at (capt dons) Dec 4-10. 12 boat dives and various shore dives. Seated entry off swim platform with both tanks in place was not a problem even in lite chop. Dove nitrox and picked mached tanks the while testing tried to get tanks of same model with same trim cararistics. Nice to be able to have the freedom of excese air gas to help in a rescue if nessary and to dive to 100 feet and still do hour dive. Bump deco and have gas to spare.
I am over 6' 4" and 225 and have Sac rate to match. Therefore I was not one to turn the dive.
Jerry B.

Back
Top Bottom