SLR vs HD camcorder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vafinator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
so i'm in the market 2 get a Hd video camera and housing...
i was thinking to get the sony HDR-XR550 camcorder and housing...a good friend of mine recommended the canon Eos 7D with housing...
now i'm looking to spend max $5000 on camera and housing...
ii'm looking for recommendations or suggestions on the two options stated...now i will be mainly using this setup for video not photos, in tropics, and 100 ft 1nd less
i appreciate ur comments....thx

The Canon 7D would be a great set up, but you get basically the same thing with a Canon Rebel T2I . The T2i shots 18mp and 1080i video. sells for around $900. The new 60d has the same features plus and sells for around $1300. You could get into either of these systems at your target price. The Olympus ELP-1 shots 720p and WITH housing goes for around $1200. IMO the Canon is a better set up and has a much larger processor, size does matter.

If you are primarily shooting video, then I would buy a camcorder. $5k is a good budget, you have quite a selection at that price point. Keep in mind that video produces HUGE files, so you need to have a new, fast computer in order to drive the software for editing. So part of your budget should be reserved for that.

Here is what I spent about 1 yr ago whe I upgraded to HD:
HD Canon HG-21 camcorder, wall charger, and larger battery $1200
Ikelite housing, red filter $1100
New computer and HD monitor $1400
HD Software upgrade $100
Ikelite 100w light, battery $700
Ikelite new flex arm for light $60

just added:
WA lens $100
Ikelite port and red filter $290

this is just a break down to give you an idea of what to expect and budget.

I use my camcorder topside as well as underwater, in fact this week I am shooting tons of video at the Balloon Fiesta here in Albuquerque. :D

robin:D

Last edited:
If you are used to shooting video and letting the camcorder record in auto then get a camcorder. Shooting video is fairly easy. It's the editing that takes time.

If you are used to shooting photos and taking the time to get the manual settings right, the 7d and T2i can produce footage better than a camcorder. However, this takes time and can be difficult or frustrating underwater. Video with an SLR, when you get the settings right, it looks great. However, it's not so easy to get it right, especially underwater.

If you are new to both, get the camcorder. It's a lot easier to shoot decent video with a camcorder than an SLR.

Given the large sensor on a DSLR, and the relatively shallow depth of field, I would be HIGHLY inclined to recommend a 1/3" or 2/3" traditional camcorder instead.

Given the large sensor on a DSLR, and the relatively shallow depth of field, I would be HIGHLY inclined to recommend a 1/3" or 2/3" traditional camcorder instead.

Not quite correct - it depends on the lens. A Tokina 10-17 on a cropped sensor dSLR will have far more depth of field than any camcorder. What I do, is jump in the water, pre-focus on my fins, then I don't focus for the rest of the dive. The depth of field on that lens is so huge, that anything from 2' +/- to infinity will be in focus.

No if you're trying to use a 60, or 100mm lens - different story. Razor thin depth of field with any long lens, to include the crappy kit lenses.

By contrast, I've had severe focus issues using a Sony XR520, XR550, (name your camera here.)

I guess the op started 2 threads on this. See my response on his other thread:

I've used both.

I took the XR550 in a Light & Motion Bluefin housing to Cayman and got some great footage with it. Its a nice package if you can afford it. You get lots of recording time on the 550, and a super easy, one touch white balance on the Light & Motion housings. The problem is the Bluefin housing is expensive, and the Fathom 90 lens, which I consider essential when shooting, is just as expensive

I've just purchased a Canon 7d in a Nauticam housing. The 7d does outstanding video, and shoots 1080 at 30fps. The best part of this setup is interchangeable lenses - something you can't get on a consumer/recreational level camcorder. That's worth it's weight in gold right there. The Nauticam housing is super ergonomic, and easy to use.

The downside of the 7d - the white balance process is a bit more cumbersome, and is certainly not 'one touch.' The other major drawback, if you're using if for video is the memory cards - you need to use a super fast one. Also, if you record too much, the card will heat up, and a little thermostat icon will appear in the LCD. The card does physically get hot.

Overall IMO, the 7d is the way to go. You get the best of both worlds with HD video and dSLR. The ability to change lenses puts the 7d over the top. Film students are buying these en-mass for their projects, and the Canon 5d mk II was used in the filming of the TV show House, and the movie Iron Man II.

I don't follow UW video much, but I'm curious if there are comparisons between the small camcorder sensors and the large dSLR sensors. I would think that the big sensors would be great underwater since you can use a high ISO / gain without much noise. My dSLR is a bit older and doesn't do video, so I don't know. I have tried a small UW camcorder (~$600 range) and was very disappointed with the output.

Not quite correct - it depends on the lens. A Tokina 10-17 on a cropped sensor dSLR will have far more depth of field than any camcorder.

Yes, if you're that wide I would have to agree. I was thinking more in terms of the common 24-28mm wides that most people have. These ultra-wide zooms that are popular now make this much less of a problem.

I don't follow UW video much, but I'm curious if there are comparisons between the small camcorder sensors and the large dSLR sensors. I would think that the big sensors would be great underwater since you can use a high ISO / gain without much noise. My dSLR is a bit older and doesn't do video, so I don't know. I have tried a small UW camcorder (~$600 range) and was very disappointed with the output.

I don't find that I can push the DSLRs much past ISO 400-640 before the noise is objectionable to me. I might get a half stop to a stop over my EX1.

I guess I was thinking the 5DmkII, which some users I know typically use ISO 3200 for dark videos and claim no objectionable noise. That said It would't surprise me if the better cameras like the EX1, or newer, are comparable. Anyway, I think thats out of the OP's stated budget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom