SLR here I come

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talk to Ryan and Richard at www.reefphoto.com if you are thinking of buying from the US.

I don't know who to suggest closer to you, sorry!

You should be able to see a chart of ports on Ikelite's web site and from that you'll be able to determine which port you need with each lens.

pitri:
Thanks guys.
I'm convinced to take the 4G SD.
I haven't bought the equipment yet so I'll consider the 16mm instead the 18-70 lens.
Regarding the underwater, i haven't gave it much thought since SLR is new to me.
I guess that I'll head towards Ikelite housing since all the rest cost twice as much and I still need strobes.
I'm a bit confused with the housing ports. Is it something I need to order in advance? Which port I need if I'm using the above lenses? Can I change the ports or am I buying the basic port and I need to have add-ons to the port for different lenses?

I'm shooting a D200. Shooting RAW+jpg basic image size is about 17MB per shot. 2G is NOT enough for a four dive day.

Forget the 16mm, and get a 12-24mm. Actually my 18-35mm is my most used UW lens so far, and I have a 12~24mm, the 18~35mm, and the 60mm macro that I generally dive with. For topside, my new favorite lens is the 18-200mm VR. I am considering selling a couple of my 18~70mm range lenses, and getting the Sigma 17-70 as it does a reasonable job of macro UW.

For macro, you may want to consider the 105mm over the 60mm if you have a zoom that already covers 60mm. This depends a lot upon where you are shooting, and what. I don't really think it's one or the other, I think most UW photographers eventually end up with both.

To learn to shoot a DSLR, I highly recommend taking classes, seminars, and in general reading as much as you can get your hands on from a lot of sources. Almost anything you will learn shooting topside can be applied to UW photography, even things like studio lighting ratio's!

For housing's while the Fantasea is less expensive, I think the IKE is a better product, and not that much more. IMO the TTL controller in the housing (which is also a manual controller) is worth the additional expense alone IF you stick with Ike strobes.

If you are looking at Inon, or other strobe brands, than the Ike housing is less attractive, but still one of the most cost effective on the market. Unfortunately I don't get to dive with my SLR as much as I would like, but after about 50 dives with the Ike housing and the D200, I can recommend it highly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom