SLR: Canon EOS Rebel 300D vs. Nikon D50

• Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Nikon D50

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tampico_ED

Contributor
Reaction score
Well let's do this a little bit more interesting!

I'm looking into buying an entry SLR level camera. I have not been able decided, which of the two above is better for underwater. I found few reviews and they put Canon (I believe model. 300D- Rebel Not XT) as a better system. Will olympus be an option as well?

p.s.I did a search on this on scubaboard nothig!

Thanks

Tampico_ED:
I'm looking into buying an entry SLR level camera. I have not been able decided, which of the two above is better for underwater. I

Thanks

Good question, bring your dive mask to the nearest store that have these cameras on display (Best Buy). Put on your dive mask (never mine the strange looks) and hold each camera in front of your eyes, about an inch or so from your mask. Now look through the viewfinder (the LCD display does not work before you shoot) then decide which camera has the best viewing (largest viewfinder) you will find that none these have viewfinders for underwater use.

So if you are not willing to go for Nikon's D2X (largest viewfinder) then you are stuck with these two with an add on viewfinder Magnifier. Now find out which U/W housing maker makes the best one, when you do, please post it here so I can know as well.

Dive Safe

Thanks a lot your input. The Nikon's D2X is a professional camera....very expensive. I guess at this point can not afford it. The Viewfinder is a big concern, mybe considering a magnifier will help. But that will be another dicussion, for the brand of housing to get after getting the camera....I guess the primary worry is the image's quality.

Thanks

Of the two, the D50 is better. Two reasons:

1. Higher flash synch speed. This will let you do a better job with sunbursts.
2. Available fisheye lens

well, at a cost level both are similar - remember the camera is the cheapest thing - housings, ports, lenses and strobes add a new dimension to your costs.....Nikon vs Canon is always debated - often seems to be a personal preference type of thing (usually swayed by if you have lenses already).....don't know much about the Oly E-serices..the new E-330 has a new viewfinder type of thing which may be the shape of things to come...

some useful sites (http://wetpixel.com/, http://dpreview.com/ , http://www.steves-digicams.com/ )

then of course the next level up Canon 20D, D70s...and now the D200 ! .. i was almost certainly getting the 20D..then Nikon went and produced the D200...although more expensive - maybe Cannon will get something similar and the price of the 20D will drop....but then again that means you would never buy anything as there's always something better in the pipeline !

housings for any of them: Ikelite are very well respected and one of the cheaper for dSLRs - next cost level up is for the Aluminum ones (Aquatica, Subal etc.)

I think the new, better Rebel is the 350D? You might want to check.

Only you can decide which system is right for your needs. There is a lot of brand loyalty out there and you'll find lots of debate over who is better. IMHO you can't go too far wrong with any of the big players as they all produce quality gear.

Check out more information on www.wetpixel.com and www.digitaldiver.net as there are a lot of dslr shooters there.

I think it's going to be tough to find someone who has actually used these two systems so bear in mind that a lot of information you will get will be third hand or from what others have read instead of actually used.

Have fun shopping - it doesn't end once you get the camera, your first lens, housing, port, synch cord, first strobe...

The newest rebel is definately the 350D, aka the XT(same thing).

I would consider the Olympus E300 or E500 for quality/more-for-the-money reasons over the entry Canon or Nikon cameras if you haven't already invested in lenses of either other brands yet. The 350D feels really cheap IMO, but the pictures are excellent - couldn't get over the cheap feel though. Build quality on both the D50 and E500 are similar, but the Oly has 8mp(compared to 6mp - which is enough for most apps anyway, but why not get more?), better kit lenses, more features, and according to DPReview and my own non-scientific testing - better pictures. The E300 is pretty much the same camera as the E500, but with even better build quality - looks super odd though! :)

The Olympus E330($1000) will have an LCD EVF which I think will be an excellent addition for UW photography.

These are all budget priced dSLRs, if you are willing to pay more, your options really open up.

Tampico_ED:
Thanks a lot your input. The Nikon's D2X is a professional camera....very expensive. I guess at this point can not afford it. The Viewfinder is a big concern, mybe considering a magnifier will help. But that will be another dicussion, for the brand of housing to get after getting the camera....I guess the primary worry is the image's quality.

Thanks

You're welcome, also check in on this the Olympus E330:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=127029

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_6051.html

If this is true and Olympus found a way to keep the LCD on before shooting, then Olympus would the one to beat for underwater use. And (just a dream) if they had this camera with a Nikon bayonet mount so I can use my Nikon lenses, everybody else could just go home.

This will turn the U/W digital housing market upside down because Olympus next move would be to make a low cost U/W houing for this unit. The cost will be low because we won't need a magnifier making for a form fitting housing. Stay Tuned

Dive Safe

SuPrBuGmAn:
The Olympus E330($1000) will have an LCD EVF which I think will be an excellent addition for UW photography.

Thanks for the heads up on the 330.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom